Has anyone successfully raised ducks with slipped tendons both legs?

LindaMarieLaur

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
New York State.
I have been massaging legs and trying to slip tendons back into place (about 3 weeks now) without success but I will continue to try. What has been accomplished is that the one with the worse case was when trying to swim hitting her body with her webs. That seems to have improved and I didn't notice it occurring last couple of times. Anyway my question is have any of you allowed lame ducks who can swim but not walk well to mature? How did it work out? I contacted a vet who advised I have them euthenized but they do not seem to be in pain and can move from where they choose to lay to their feed and water and back. I moved them to my duck house on the peninsula to the pond yesterday. One swims like a champ but can't climb steep sides and, because of my error in training, didn't find her way back to the island. The other didn't swim far from the island and got her lower legs tangled in seaweed so I will be clearing that our from the front of the island. I have a float and plan to go out with them today and see how they do. Would love any feedback from people who have lame ducks. Thanks.

It all depends on how much time and care you wish to devote to them. Most disabled poultry don't live long lives, but some do with extra care. All you can do is see how it goes, and watch for too much pain.

It all depends on how much time and care you wish to devote to them. Most disabled poultry don't live long lives, but some do with extra care. All you can do is see how it goes, and watch for too much pain.
Thank you. So far they seem happy enough - they obviously enjoy being together and no shivering. While in the duck house, they move to and from their feed and water and seem to be eating well. I take them out once a day. I had a ramp but changed it to straw for their comfort moving inside and outside. I move them to the water and one swims like a champ. The other swims but it is more work although it doesn't seem to mind. I massage and work their lower legs after their swim and before their going back into the duckhouse which they do on their own. The one with the worse legs gets stuck in seaweed so until that happens or they seem to be wanting to get out in the wrong area, I stay on shore. Then I get on a float and go remove the seaweed from the one and move them away from that shore. I put the lamer one on the float with me and she seems to like that. Yesterday, I did not take them out; it was too cool on the water for me but the day before the healthier one swam back to the peninsula and got on the shore and into some tall grass. I let the lamer one off near the shore and she made her way onto the shore herself. I can do this with them for the rest of the summer and maybe get something better for myself to take this time into the fall. I'm hoping they will learn to go into the water and then back to the peninsula without going to a different shore. The seaweed around the shore by the peninsula has been removed. Fingers crossed. Thank you--you gave me some hope.

My feeling is that you have probably the best set up for the issue you’re dealing with. I concur they probably won’t live as long as a duck without these problems, but if they otherwise function and don’t seem in undue amounts of pain, who’s to say anything different? If they’re enjoying being ducks and doing what ducks do, and you have the time to keep an eye on them, I say go for it! You’ll just have to monitor closely for declining health and things like pressure sores on their legs and keels. :)

My feeling is that you have probably the best set up for the issue you’re dealing with. I concur they probably won’t live as long as a duck without these problems, but if they otherwise function and don’t seem in undue amounts of pain, who’s to say anything different? If they’re enjoying being ducks and doing what ducks do, and you have the time to keep an eye on them, I say go for it! You’ll just have to monitor closely for declining health and things like pressure sores on their legs and keels. :)
Thank you. I will look out for those things.

Back
Top Bottom