Has anyone tried making/using the "Chicken Barrow"?

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
Here's the link to the "Instructables" blog where I found it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Chicken_Barrow/

It looks like a really great temporary situation for my hens while I try to save the cash to make a more permanent coop.

If anyone has experience with this or ideas about its safety and effectiveness, please speak up.
smile.png

Thanks!

I built a couple tractors this summer - similar to that, but A frames instead of domes. They've been really handy. You might want to enclose one end if they'll be sleeping in it for shelter. Mine cost about $100 in materials and only took a day to throw together.

Yeah, I figured I'd cover one end with a nice strong tarp. So far, it isn't getting real cold out at night, so they should be fine for a while. It would just be for a month or so while I save up to make the good one.

I'm just looking at those PVC pipes though and imagining they must be hard to bend like that without breaking them. While they are cheap, it would still be a pain in the arse to have to go back to the hardware store and get another one.

Stefrobrts, I'd love to see pics of the ones you built!

It's really hard to break PVC. It's got a lot of bend to it. I think to make that tight a bend, you have to be sure and get the right 'schedule' pipe. I used to have a big hoop greenhouse made of PVC, and it was surprising how strong and flexible they are.

Here are some pictures of my tractors (if I do this right)

tractor3.jpg

tractor2.jpg

tractor4.jpg

tractor1.jpg

Quote:
Get schedule 20 it is more flexible then the 40. The 40 is very hard to break but not flexible. Don't try to bend it. If you make it long enough it will naturally bend. If you force it too much it will break on you.

Last edited:
We made larger version of a run from PVC and I loved how easy it was to work with. My teenage daughter and I built the run part. We cut the pvc to length and then bent the pvc slowly and i went easily. You can see photos on my BYC page.

PS I also rebuilt the inside of our pop up camper kitchen from heavier PVC so I can carry it outside and not worry about rain. Love building with pvc! Thinking entire chicken coop from one down the road.

Mine are all wood - I built them with what I had laying around. They are heavy though. PVC would definitely be lighter, and probably just as strong for what they are used for. I think if I build another one next year I'll try a wood base with a PVC above.

Back
Top Bottom