Has anyone tried using nipple waterers with a garden hose?

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
I have a lot of pens, and two rows back up to each other. I have been wanting to put nipple waterers in, but the thought of dealing with long PVC, cutting and fitting it, and making it go to all the pens, with angles, T's, zig zags, I can just imagine the hassle and never put them up. The other day I had a lighgtbulb float over my head (BLINK!) and I though I could just zip tie some old garden hose to the chain link, cut with a knife, split with a cheapo plastic fitting, screw a shut off valve on the end for flushing, viola! Was wondering if anyone else had tried it. Anyone?

I was thinking to run a garden hose from a five or ten gallon container. Cut a hole in the barrel near the bottom, and run the hose in there, silicone around it, secure it "however" lol. and run that hose along the pens. I think I will try it first with a jacked up old hunk of old hose that is lying back by the shed, just to see if the theory works.

The advantage to using PVC is the holes for the nipples are precise and won't leak like they will with a softer type of hose.

There is no reason , though, that you couldn't use hose to make the turns and use PVC only for the nipples.

You would just have to put "hose barbs" on the ends of the PVC sections

I've seen videos on you tube showing PVC pipe fittings attached to a 5 galleon bucket with a garden hose fitting. I wonder if there is a way to keep it from freezing in the winter.

Quote:
This sounds like a doable solution to me
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom