Has anyone used Southern States Sporting bird starter?

I don't see any of the ingredients that ring my alarm bells (such as DE or garlic).
Yeah I compared it to what I had and I didn’t notice any bad things right off. I mean I have to take their word on fermentation product haha that’s all indecipherable to me 🤨

Too bad it's not available near me. I'd like to try it.
I’m pretty excited, it’ll save me considerably on feed if it works out, plus I can just go pick it up, no chance of it sitting on my porch getting rained on until I get home.

Too funny, that is the food I was feeding before I switched over to using the Homestead Harvest. I never had any problems with it and it was pretty cheap. I guess the only issue is I do get some soft eggs even with offering calcium on the side. I've not heard of DE being a bad ingredient in the food can you elaborate @Nabiki . I know you have labels but here are the pics from mine.

Attachments

• 20201010_065436.jpg
    20201010_065436.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201010_065419.jpg
    20201010_065419.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 5
Here is a shot of the layer feed crumble, should've just included in the original.

Attachments

• 20201010_070034.jpg
    20201010_070034.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201010_070004.jpg
    20201010_070004.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 4
Too funny, that is the food I was feeding before I switched over to using the Homestead Harvest. I never had any problems with it and it was pretty cheap. I guess the only issue is I do get some soft eggs even with offering calcium on the side. I've not heard of DE being a bad ingredient in the food can you elaborate @Nabiki . I know you have labels but here are the pics from mine.
DE is fossilized diatoms and mostly silica. It has no nutritional value, and most of the "benefits" of consuming it are wives' tales or pseudo science. It is abrasive, so at best, it doesn't do anything internally, at worst, it can cause irritation and inflammation.

DE is fossilized diatoms and mostly silica. It has no nutritional value, and most of the "benefits" of consuming it are wives' tales or pseudo science. It is abrasive, so at best, it doesn't do anything internally, at worst, it can cause irritation and inflammation.

Thank you for the explanation. The food that I am using now advertises that they put it in the food so I'll admit I assumed it was a good thing. This is the tag from my current feed and DE is pretty high up on the ingredients list. Starting to wonder more if I made the right choice. It just seemed like a GMO/ By Products Free Feed would be better but I should've stuck with the SS Specialty Flock.

Attachments

• 20201010_113821.jpg
    20201010_113821.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for the explanation. The food that I am using now advertises that they put it in the food so I'll admit I assumed it was a good thing. This is the tag from my current feed and DE is pretty high up on the ingredients list. Starting to wonder more if I made the right choice. It just seemed like a GMO/ By Products Free Feed would be better but I should've stuck with the SS Specialty Flock.
Silica is basically glass. Eating glass is never a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom