Has anyone used these Chicken blinders?

tanktop74

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2019
I have a flock of 40 hens, in a huge coop (160 sq feet, 16 nesting boxes and more than enough roosts for all and their friends) with outside run and they free range. These girls have been together in this coop for 2.5 months. Lately I have a huge picking problem, causing bleeding and injury to some of my most docile birds.

I have eliminated some of the aggressors, but now have new aggressors.

I came across these chicken blinders/glasses and wonder if anyone else has used them. Thought I would give them a try before eliminating the aggressors from the flock, loosing my best egg layers. (BTW, I sell my farm fresh eggs and the hens support the feed and supplements required. I can't keep up with egg orders at this time, can't afford to get rid of any more birds right now.)

upload_2019-8-16_11-39-34.png

upload_2019-8-16_11-40-16.png

Have like 24 one coop use no peck on them never been bad enough to look at peepers have lot's of cockerels like 5 or 6 just now only want max two but take them to auction just wait a tiny bit get a better prices

I can't help but wonder why you're just now having this problem. You will have issues with the pecking order every once in a while. Sometimes they just need to sort it out. If you know which ones are the aggressors id seperate them for a few days to let the pecking order reestablish but thats no guarantee it will solve your problem. I would watch them closely to see WHY they are being aggressive. How big is the coop and the run? Do they get to free range? A lot of the time they can be aggressive if they are bored. You can try putting in some toys

I can't help but wonder why you're just now having this problem. You will have issues with the pecking order every once in a while. Sometimes they just need to sort it out. If you know which ones are the aggressors id seperate them for a few days to let the pecking order reestablish but thats no guarantee it will solve your problem. I would watch them closely to see WHY they are being aggressive. How big is the coop and the run? Do they get to free range? A lot of the time they can be aggressive if they are bored. You can try putting in some toys

Like I said above, coop size is huge 160 sq ft 10ft X 16ft, they have outside run with all day access to and get free range time as well on 3 acres.

i have tried the separating and bring back it but that has not worked, currently have the most aggressive ones locked in outside run away from the rest, have the injured in their own coops to heal.

Part of the problem I gather is that the aggressors are a Rhode island red cross breeds, every one else is docile breads, orpingtons, astrolorps, copper marans, silkies and white leggins.

I don’t know on peepers. I got for my flock and couldn’t get them to stay on. Used anti pecking spray. That worked pretty well. Sell the aggressors and keep the docile ones that get along.

Examine your injured ones very closely. Maybe they're sick. Chickens will often attack other chickens they believe to be ill. Your coop sounds like a good size so I doubt it is boredom. I also doubt it's the breed but I could be wrong as I only have golden comets which are RIRs crossed with leghorns. They are quite docile birds

Have you addressed possible nutrient deficiency in your birds yet? Definitely an avenue to explore if you haven't already. Might be dietary especially if your most prolific layers are the offenders.

Have you addressed possible nutrient deficiency in your birds yet? Definitely an avenue to explore if you haven't already. Might be dietary especially if your most prolific layers are the offenders.

Hmmm didn't think about nutrient deficiency, what could they possibly be missing? I feed high quality feed, made locally at my feed store, have oyster shell always available, feed veggies from the garden, and they free range. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom