Has anyone used this design?

LLCoyote

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I don't know if this is the right place to put this under because it is for my chicks, but it is also a coop issue so I'm not really sure where to put it. I was wondering if anyone had used this design for chicks? I like it because it is cheap and light. There is plenty of room for all my chicks in my coop and I'm looking for something I can move in and out of the coop so that I wouldn't have to block off part of my coop as well as part of my run. The way I have everything set up, that would be a major pain.

I like this design because it seems cheap and this is going to be a temporary situation. I currently have 6 (5 orps and a cochin) chicks but I have a strong feeling I have at least three roos and as soon as I know for certain, they're free to a good home. This would be for a couple of months at the most. My big girls are three months and these chicks are three weeks and two weeks. I'd like to get started on a plan and building it so that it'll be ready for the girls when the girls go outside in a couple of weeks.

I'm in east TN and the days are in the 90s and the nights are in the 70s and up, so I'm thinking by 5 weeks everyone should be good to be outside.

That is really cute. The biggest problem I see is that it is not predator proof. It's also super light weight, and I think a stiff storm breeze might blow it over. If you used 1/2" hardware cloth, and put a skirt around it, that would make it predator proof. If you did something to weight it down, that would take care of the other problem. If you keep it in one place, you could stake it down at the skirt. My first coop was a cattle panel hoop, 2 level design, and I then added a sun room, so it's now 8 x 12, with many options for dividing it up for multi age chicks.

It should be okay to keep them in it during the day so the coop can be moved around the yard. I think you would need a more solid one for them to stay at night. As lazy gardener said "The biggest problem I see is that it is not predator proof" Not sure if you have foxes, coon or other night predators. We had some coons trying to get into our coop at night but took care of that problem.

Yeah I was definitely going to cover it with hardware cloth. We don't have wildlife come into our yard any more
lol.png
. We have five dogs and two of them that roam the chicken yard at night and we also have our chicken fence inside our horse fence, I've seen my mare trample a dog just for coming in when I didn't tell it to.
roll.png
. So we don't really have predator issues, but I definitely wouldn't take any chances. Goodness knows I'll say something and turn around to find a coyote in our yard.

The storm thing is my biggest concern, since I plan on taking it in and out of my permanent coop with the big girls at night (the girls' permanent coop is big and was converted from a shed so there is plenty of room for this to be in there at night). It storms often where we are and I am not sure on how to keep it from blowing away. I work, so I couldn't go and put them up for every single storm. The stake thing in a good idea. I could use latches so that I could still pick it up at night.

Thank you guys so much for your input!

I have a version of it. Mine isn't as cute though. Mine is a box, 6X8 and 3' high. Hardware cloth all around including the skirt so it's predator proof. My version is heavy enough that it's hard for me to move (but I can if just barely). We have some nasty winds and it' hasn't budged yet. The winds blew my plastic dog house that was weighed down with rocks clear across the yard (maybe 100'), but the coop didn't budge. I live in Ohio (zone 5/6) and plan on using it in the winter with some straw and a tarp to winterize it.

In this shot they are about 5 weeks, the coop wasn't quiet done yet but they were hanging out during the day. I need some updated pics. I think it was around $200 to build. When I get around to it I will post one of those 'my coop' pages about it.

I figure it can keep out any predator besides bears and humans. Don't have much of either going after chickens around here. Mostly hawks/eagles, fox, coyote, possum, and racoon.

I have a version of it. Mine isn't as cute though. Mine is a box, 6X8 and 3' high. Hardware cloth all around including the skirt so it's predator proof. My version is heavy enough that it's hard for me to move (but I can if just barely). We have some nasty winds and it' hasn't budged yet. The winds blew my plastic dog house that was weighed down with rocks clear across the yard (maybe 100'), but the coop didn't budge. I live in Ohio (zone 5/6) and plan on using it in the winter with some straw and a tarp to winterize it.

In this shot they are about 5 weeks, the coop wasn't quiet done yet but they were hanging out during the day. I need some updated pics. I think it was around $200 to build. When I get around to it I will post one of those 'my coop' pages about it.

I figure it can keep out any predator besides bears and humans. Don't have much of either going after chickens around here. Mostly hawks/eagles, fox, coyote, possum, and racoon.
That looks so nice! And it's totally adorable with your chicks and flowers. My problem with building something is that I'm not a builder, I'd have to pay someone to do something that involves all that cutting and it looks like that takes a lot more wood/metal work. If you do put more information up let me know, I'd love to hear the specifics.

I am not a builder either. Not really. If you came and played with it you could tell that it's not perfectly square. Sometimes the doors are a bit tricky to close. But the chickens don't mind. The metal was easy to cut with a tin snip, ok easy is probably not the right word, but I just marked off the cuts and cut it like really tough paper. I made it 6X8 to try to reduce the number of cuts a bit. I probably could have done better on that front though.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/portable-predator-proof-poultry-pen

For a temporary chick pen you could also do something like this: http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pastured-poultry-pen.htm

If they are not under a tree or other shade just add a tarp for shade.

Last edited:
You don't have to be a builder. All you need is a simple plan, a chop saw and a good drill! You'll need a jig saw if you're planning to build that hoop coop. Either can be built with a bit of determination, and a LOT of time. In the past 4 years, I've built a green house, hoop coop, 2 tractors, and hubby and I built a big coop last fall. If this old biddy can do it, you can.

Back
Top Bottom