Has anyone used...?

awalters0815

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Plainfield, IN
Has anyone used the open air coop concept espoused in the book Fresh-Air Poultry Houses: The Classic Guide to Open-Front Chicken Coops for Healthier Poultry? I guess its a really old book, but it is considered the definitive book and healthy coop construction. I ordered a copy today. Let me know if you have read or used it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Great coop, Jack. I`m impressed bu the fact that some folks up into Canada use open air coops. I`ve always had open pens for my fowl, nothing as nice as yours, but they work fine for me in the south...........Pop

I have open air coops. 4 of them to be exact. We live in the South and we built them so they wouldn't be so hot in the Summer. We have been down in the single digits a few times this winter which is very rare, but I didn't do anything extra for them when it got cold.

If it gets too cold they could just put on their down jackets.
smile.png
Oh wait, they come with those already attached. We don't have actual open air but our coops have open eaves with overhangs. So all the hot moist air rises to the top and gets sucked out. We had lows at -17 in February for 2 nights and days in the -2 range. I would sure use open air down south. Knock on wood, our chickens have never had any diseases of any kind. I think it has something to do with the dry climate here in Colo.

When we had winter storms come through, I'd look out at the coop, All the chickens would be standing looking out the open front. Some people on here would think they'd be all huddled up in the back corner dying of frostbite. They don't seem to like walking in the snow, but the cold doesn't bother them at all.
Jack

I'm planing on putting in a huge wire window, 5ftx5ft or so, in my addition I'll be making.
It can snow 3ft here in Virginia, but the heat can also be hell, at least for me!
So I'll be also making sure I can easily place 2 boards in winter to help keep the heat in and snow out.
smile.png

Here is a quick video of two of our coops (we now have three of them). The first one has about 6" of hardware cloth between the walls and the roof (hot air rises), and the screen doors. The second coop has 2' of hardware cloth along the top and the door is hardware cloth.

Helps to keep my peeps cool
cool.png

click on the photo to play the video -

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom