Has my duck imprinted on me???

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
I didn't think my duck imprinted on me, because I have seven of them and they seem to be pretty focused on each other. Today I took one of the ducks to school with me and the students had fun petting it. After school I let him out of his little pen and he followed me out of the classroom. I decided to try something I headed down the hall and to another teacher's classroom and he went with. Then I walked out and down the hall clear across the huge cafeteria and through the office are and back across the cafeteria and here came my black runner duck running right behind me all of the way. I just had to give him a hug it was so cute. He seemed to love all of the attention. Does that mean he has imprinted, or he was just lonesome for his buddies, and I was the next best thing.
My duck free ranging in my classroom : )
28584_ruffles_003.jpg

Oh how handsome and well behaved, I would like to give that guy a hug too!!
I bet your kids enjoyed this dapper visitor!!
(Although I wonder what the janitor thought!)
I don't think it's imprinting, ducks just never want to be alone and will always try to stay close to their friends.
Like you said, you were the next best thing to his buddies!
smile.png

I have never seen him be aggressive. He is a sweet heart. He had kids petting him from all sides today and was as gentle as can be... I haven't seen him aggressive with the other ducks either... I sure hope he doesn't become that way. So far all of my ducks have been getting along, but the egg laying just started... and I hear that is when trouble begins. I am just now being able to identify some of them as drakes and hens.... I have another black runner that looks real similar to him but his bill is shaped a little different and I think he is a drake too... then one smaller black runner which I think is a female... haven't figured out the fawn/white ones completely... I think I have just as many drakes as hens though, so know I will have to put them in different pens if I have too many drakes.

The janitor is a duck lover. When I've hatched them in my classroom she always comes by and visits, and has witnessed a few hatches. She used to launder the towels I used for bedding for me. Believe it or not in all of that traveling he only had one little accident that I cleaned up quickly. They shampoo the rugs over Christmas break.... : )

I spend a lot of time with mine and think they are real sweet. Once I get them picked up, they relax and will even snuggle up against me and rest their neck on my shoulder. They like having their necks scratched. They love their treats and associate me with goodies. But I have taken them all to school and the students just love them. I think the amount of time you spend handling them makes a difference.

Tia

Back
Top Bottom