Has my little boy got bumblefoot and how do i fix it??

Yes there was a story on facebook recently about a goose called Emery/george that nearly had to be destroyed because his previous owner let his bumble get so bad, but a lovely lady rescued him and he seems to be getting much better! I always try and make the geese walk in the grass when we go outside because i know how delicate their feet are.

If you have hedge apple/Osage orange trees where your poultry range, bumblefoot tends to be a problem - the trees drop branches with huge thorns.

I've had success using clear iodine and triple antibiotic ointment on difficult cases. I also find that a dental probe sickle works more effectively than tweezers to pry the scab up and remove the cheesy-looking gunk.

Best of luck!!

I have a dental probe sonthanks forbthe tip. Any advice on keeping him calm and still while i work on him?

What is the reason I should be looking at Neosporin WITHOUT pain relief? I'm having trouble finding it without; Are there alternatives?

Also... Should I use blu Kote? (I'm in the UK so i don't think we have this brand)

Last edited:
What is the reason I should be looking at Neosporin WITHOUT pain relief? I'm having trouble finding it without; Are there alternatives?

Also... Should I use blu Kote? (I'm in the UK so i don't think we have this brand)
This thread provides more info. Any antibiotic ointment without pain relief should do. If you use the antibiotic ointment, I'd skip the Blu-Kote - it's particularly useful where wound pecking may be a risk, but is very messy to apply. Vetericyn is also used for wound care, but I prefer antibiotic ointment for this type of problem.

Any update?
Ordered some Neosporin online, some vetwrap and some epsom salt poultice which is to arrive shortly thereafter. Tonight i'm going to make a stop at the pharmacyon the way home to see if i can get hold of a bag of epsom salt to put in the bath while the poultice is dispatched as I plan to bathe him again when I arrive home (regardless of if I have the salts or not i'll be bathing him)

How should i go about wrapping a gooses foot? Its not like a chicken with no webbing between their toes???

Back
Top Bottom