Has there ever been a STUDY done on.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by giasmom, Apr 7, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Does anyone out there know, if there has ever been a study done on , The effects differant colors may or may not have on egg laying or egg production ? Anyone ?

Wasn't sure where to post this .

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have heard of one involving different types of music, but not colors.

3. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Anyone else want to chime in ?

4. giasmom

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Good Link , I found a few other studies on there that I would like to read up on. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. Migizi

Migizi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    I heard of one about brown eggs having harder shells, but not about nutrition. [​IMG]

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Chickens have good colour vision and we found that white string was preferred to yellow, red, green or blue ones by chicks and adults and that monochromatic bunches of string (white or yellow) were pecked more than multi-coloured ones (Jones & Carmichael, 1998; Jones et al., 2000). It is unlikely that the attraction to white and yellow string reflected greater brightness and, hence, visibility for several reasons. The home cages were well illuminated, chickens can
    discriminate between colours in near-darkness, and we would not have expected the observed increase in pecking at red, green and blue strings with repeated presentation if the chicks had found them difficult to see. Although inconsistencies often appear across studies in observed colour preferences, these probably reflect differences in the stimuli and experimental contexts as well as the genotypes and ages of the chickens used. Our findings are consistent with suggestions that chickens find blue food and objects aversive and that red may act as an unlearned warning signal that elicits avoidance (see Jones et al; 2000).

From Link below. Also offers info. on what sort of television programming they prefer (along with more germane info):

http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Document.aspx?Document=AW1122_52_FRP.pdf

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  8. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Ok, what was the music study???I have thought of playing music for the girls, but I don't think the neighbors would like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by