Hatch A Long

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cparrott, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Cparrott

Cparrott Songster

Jun 27, 2019
    I am going to attempt a hatch a long. The hatch date is Sept 4. The ducklings are going to be either Blue Swede, Rouen,(moms) and crested Magpie, crested fawn and white Indian runner (dads). This is my first time incubating eggs or even doing anything with ducks. Some pictures below of my setup. The incubator is old school but works, it came from my grama.

Attached Files:

ValerieJ, FluffTheDuck and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    The incubator looks great. So what if it's old school! I'm old school too! One thing I did was go to Dollar Tree and get some of that rubber shelf liner and put it on top of the grate. I bet it probably doesn't make any difference but I just thought it would be softer for the little ones as they hatch. fullsizeoutput_3383.jpeg

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Following!!

4. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I just about finished my third hatch. One egg to go. I will be following also. They are so much friendlier when you hatch them. None of mine hatched out think I'm an axe murderer. All my bought day olds did. All mine are different moms but fawn and white Indian runner dad. I call them my Forest Gump box of chocolates. Good luck!

ValerieJ, WVduckchick and Cparrott like this.
  5. Cparrott

Cparrott Songster

Jun 27, 2019
    Eggs look good this morning. Temp is at 95-99°F and the humidity I have at 50-55°. I have 7 eggs all together and will post some pictures of candling them. I will say that 1 of the eggs is further ahead then the others since that one was being sat on for 1 week by the momma duck until she stopped and I went and got incubator.

ValerieJ, WVduckchick and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. Cparrott

Cparrott Songster

Jun 27, 2019
    Pictures of the eggs. The last 2 are of same egg. There is some movement going on with that one and all the others have the small black embryo dot. Let me know what you all think.

Attached Files:

ValerieJ, WVduckchick and DuckyDonna like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I’ve never seen the last 2 with red in it like that. @WVduckchick

ValerieJ and WVduckchick like this.
  8. Cparrott

Cparrott Songster

Jun 27, 2019
    @Miss Lydia when I candle that egg it is all blood vessels and a baby duck starts moving like crazy can see the little beak! It's so cute. I will have to make a video for you all to see

ValerieJ, DuckyDonna and WVduckchick like this.
  9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    The more red ones are definitely further along.

I added water to my incubator this morning, hatching due this weekend. I have 5 call duck eggs, and 7 (plus 2 questionable) big eggs from Saxony and khaki hens with a white crested drake as daddy.

shawluvsbirds and Cparrott like this.
  10. Cparrott

Cparrott Songster

Jun 27, 2019
    @WVduckchick I am getting 2 saxony ducklings from a breeder this weekend. Can't wait for that. One of the crested drakes that I have is the father of these babies but the mom's are different so I will have to wait til they hatch to see!

shawluvsbirds and WVduckchick like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: