Hatch along 2015

Ughhh! I wish I was incubating emus this year! So jealous! LOL! There's something wonderfully addicting about incubating them! And raising them... aww, emus are just addicting all around!

Good luck everyone!!!

I got absolutely no wiggles, noises, etc. This morning, day 53, I wake up to this:

I broke It open and it looks like it stoped developing within the first few weeks. I will just buy some chicks :)

IMHO wait just a bit -- a natural hatch happens over about four days. The early chicks just tough it out 'til their siblings emerge (then they hoof it to water).

se

[Got a wild female sizing up the command of the house-clearing here, but she's not gonna tangle with Eric. Uno the Chick is a sook! When Eric dashes into battle, Uno sits and cheeps plaintively.]

Last edited:
I have a Janoel 24 incubator and bought an Emu egg for $15. I found the temp required and put the egg in after resting for 24 hours unpacked. What I had read was that they needed lower humidity so I did what I always do with my chicken eggs....incubation and hatching with no added water whatsoever. I didn't weigh it either. I felt there was nothing I would be changing and it would hatch or not anyway so I just waited. I hatched a Big, healthy chick yesterday at day 50. At day 40 I had removed the part in the Janoel that turns the egg and when I picked it up, I felt movement. I put some of the rubbery shelf liner that is a waffle weave on the floor of the incubator. No changes in temp or humidity.

I left the chick in the incubator over night and prepared the brooder today. The incubator was not tall enough for the chick to stand but I expected the chick would mostly sleep, which it seemed to.
I put the chick in the brooder today and it's trying to walk and so funny. It stands then takes off running! This has been a totally fun experience and I an buying a couple more so this chick won'l be a loner. I would happily buy a chick though if there is anyone here selling chicks that will ship. I'm in SW Missouri. What age can they be shipped? I don't mind a day trip for pick up too.

On thing I did in my Janoel is hand turn every day or two. The egg was so large that the turner did not seem to make an entire turn. I turned one way on even days and the other direction on odd days. The Janoel has a rod that sticks down into a hole on the turner and rolls the eggs slowly from one end to the other then back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom