Hatch-ALong - Setting first eggs 4/5, hatch day 4/26. Anyone want to join me?

I am setting eggs tomorrow too! I am picking up white chantecler, and bantam ameraucana and bantam faverolle chicks. I will be putting these eggs under two broody hens. My first incubating experience was great, but I had a 0% hatch rate on my Easter Hatch. Hoping these broodies do a good job. Good Luck everyone!

I'm very new to all of this so pardon my newbie questions but is there a difference between when the egg was laid and when you put it in the incubator? And what does 'set' mean?

I am setting eggs tomorrow too! I am picking up white chantecler, and bantam ameraucana and bantam faverolle chicks. I will be putting these eggs under two broody hens. My first incubating experience was great, but I had a 0% hatch rate on my Easter Hatch. Hoping these broodies do a good job. Good Luck everyone!
Welcome! Is this your first time using broodies? I keep hoping my mother hen will go broody again, but she doesn't seem interested... She did a great job the first time, though!

I'm very new to all of this so pardon my newbie questions but is there a difference between when the egg was laid and when you put it in the incubator? And what does 'set' mean?
I'm all very new to this as well, so we can learn together! From what I've read fertile eggs are good for about a week and then viability starts to decrease, so most people don't recommend setting eggs older than 10 days in the incubator. I'm trying one from my flock that's 12 days old though, just to see what happens.

And 'set' is just starting the incubation process, as in "I set my eggs tonight so tomorrow will be day 1." Speaking of which...

Setting these beauties in the incubator tonight. I ended up with extras, so I'm going to wait until dark and candle to find the best air cells, etc. before I put them in. So eggcited!

I'm pretty sure the really dark coloured eggs are Marian's or wellsummer. And the olive coloured eggs are olive eggers
I will try to post a picture tonight - my batch looks very similar to the picture SmittenChicken posted earlier (it's again below).
I'm all very new to this as well, so we can learn together! From what I've read fertile eggs are good for about a week and then viability starts to decrease, so most people don't recommend setting eggs older than 10 days in the incubator. I'm trying one from my flock that's 12 days old though, just to see what happens.

And 'set' is just starting the incubation process, as in "I set my eggs tonight so tomorrow will be day 1." Speaking of which...

Setting these beauties in the incubator tonight. I ended up with extras, so I'm going to wait until dark and candle to find the best air cells, etc. before I put them in. So eggcited!

I'm so excited to be hatching with all you guys together! I do have a question - when I candled the eggs this morning, I did not see what looks like a typical air cell in any of the eggs. Instead, there appeared to be a nickel sized dark disc. I've never seen anything like it before and never had trouble finding the aircell immediately. I do know that the eggs were all just laid yesterday, so I got them as fresh as they come. Does anyone know if this is normal or is my hatch doomed already? (My first thought was, maybe they got too cold before the lady picked them up and were frozen?) Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm all very new to this as well, so we can learn together! From what I've read fertile eggs are good for about a week and then viability starts to decrease, so most people don't recommend setting eggs older than 10 days in the incubator. I'm trying one from my flock that's 12 days old though, just to see what happens. And 'set' is just starting the incubation process, as in "I set my eggs tonight so tomorrow will be day 1." Speaking of which... Setting these beauties in the incubator tonight. I ended up with extras, so I'm going to wait until dark and candle to find the best air cells, etc. before I put them in. So eggcited!
Awesome! I'm glad I have people to help me through this! I candled the egg as soon as I got it and set it on April 1st (look at me! Using my new word!) Anyways, my temperature is at 99-100 and my humidity is at 40% right now. I feel like I'm off to a great start =]

I will try to post a picture tonight - my batch looks very similar to the picture SmittenChicken posted earlier (it's again below).

I'm so excited to be hatching with all you guys together! I do have a question - when I candled the eggs this morning, I did not see what looks like a typical air cell in any of the eggs. Instead, there appeared to be a nickel sized dark disc. I've never seen anything like it before and never had trouble finding the aircell immediately. I do know that the eggs were all just laid yesterday, so I got them as fresh as they come. Does anyone know if this is normal or is my hatch doomed already? (My first thought was, maybe they got too cold before the lady picked them up and were frozen?) Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Hmm... I have no idea. Did you try posting about it on the Shipped Eggs/Aircell thread? Sally knows a lot about aircell issues so she might be able to help.

This is one of my eggs that I candled today. It's still pretty early (day 4) but can anyone tell me something from what they see here?

I'm in, I'm in guys, a little bit earlier(4/1), my eggs are 8 BBCO and 4 Giros for my Uncle. Due date 4/22 4 days earlier
big_smile.png
this is my 6 batch for all 3 on a Genesis already sold and 3rd in an Octagon 20 Adv. Last hatch on the Oct were EO and Buckeye hatched 10 from 11.

Back
Top Bottom