Hatch along!!!

Here's the kicker.... I still have to build the chicken coop!
hide.gif

Ready, go, set! Put in the incubator at midnight, Aug 10th

Had room for 40, but had 41 eggs. A "second string" Welsummer egg didn't make the cut (it was kind of weepy when I opened the parcel...don't trust damp eggs)
In the very back upper left corner is a mystery egg that came with the 12+ Cinnamon Queen Eggs. Well, actually, they were all supposed to be CQ's, but I think they ran out and threw in a California White Leghorn The fattest eggs are the Legbar Olive Eggers (F1 and light blue).. The darker olive eggs are going to be F2 Olive Eggers. The dark olive eggs shown here are what the F1's will lay.

Here's another funny observation: All the colors in the incubator are all the colors in my house, which is painted assorted tans, whites, creams and olive.

Do you raise them for eggs? Meat? Garden slug detail? Fun?

A former house used to have a pond and we had all sorts of wild mallards and the neighbor's rapacious Muscovy. One time one Mama Mallard took her new brood out on the pond....14 little chipmunk like mallards and 1 weird white one. I about died laughing.

Unfortunately, we also had humongous bullfrogs that ate them with gator-like stealth. Each lap around the pond another duckling would disappear. So one year I raided the duck nest and incubated them, kept them in the brooder for about two weeks (heckuva time keeping them out of the water dish...messy, messy things). Didn't matter...the bullfrogs just opened up a little wider. Whodathunk the main predator would be a frog?

Back
Top Bottom