Hatch an egg in a hurry

Buckles

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Yorkshire, England
I am currently in possession of a fertile chicken egg and would like to try to hatch it rather than eat it. I can't afford an incubator after buying a car last week - the last of my spare money is going on insurance - so I need a solution that won't cost me anything, if that's possible. If that's not possible then I suppose the egg will just have to be eaten; but not by me, because after spending the day cradling new-born chicks in my hands I can do nothing but picture the little life that this egg could turn in to.

In case you're thinking I'm barmy, I do realise that successfully hatching a single egg is a seriously long shot.

Forget it if you don't want to spend money on electricity bills but the temperature needs to be at 100 and put a sponge near it. It takes 21 days or a chick to hatch. You might want to do some research. Good luck!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
In theory you can build an incubator for very little money--all depends on the items you already have. Plenty of info here on BYC to build one quickly. Can you borrow one perhaps? GL and:welcome

It doesn't matter now. I've decided that me and my bf are going to eat it along with our tea tonight, to see what a really farm-fresh free range egg tastes like. I wasn't being entirely rational last night - after having a contract fall through on us for a house where we had planned to raise chickens I put all my hope into that little egg, thinking raising a chick would make up for the run of bad luck I've been having. After sleeping on it, I've realised I wasn't being terribly realistic. I'll eat this egg and look forward to hatching out some of my own in the future.

Thanks for the help anyway, guys.

Back
Top Bottom