Hatch Day With Intervention - Pic heavy (mild graphic)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wildsky, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    This morning I woke to a pip ! [​IMG] (White Arucana)

Very exciting, I waited a few hours before noticing there were actually 3 pips. Two were on the underside of the eggs. (dark Arucana and EE)
    After thinking it though for a few minutes and thanks to a friend, I opened the bator with lightning speed turned those two eggs a quarter turn. Temp dropped a degree. Humidity was at 70%

[​IMG]

4 eggs in above pic. Top left is Dark Arucana, Top Right EE, bottom Left White Arucana.

The day went on, I paced back and forth and not much happened.... peeping and little bits of movement.
    By 4pm the EE was starting to zip..... took until my hubby got home after 5 before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At that point the dark Arucana was making me worry - the pip was at the pointy end.... - the membrane was darkening... the White Arucana's membrane was white and I could see that it was soft as the little booger was pushing though.

I decided to intervene. The membrane was hard crispy almost..... I took the egg out, on a wet warm towel and picked off some shell - trying to leave the membrane alone. I nicked it and drew a drop of blood, I quickly wrapped it in a wet paper towel - put a drop of water as close to that dry spot as I could and put it back:
    (in the pic - the dry yellow at the top is where the original pip was)

[​IMG]

I pulled the egg out a total of 4 times, the second time was to pick away more shell. The 3rd time I tackled a piece of membrane - it was like leather, I peeled back a little - and again drew a drop of blood.... wrapped it up with a wet warm papertowel and back in the incubator.... my husband took these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shell was half gone at this point, but the membrane remained - the chick was moving still, beak opening and closing.
    I went in for the final intervention...... that membrane was TOUGH.... if it wasn't for the little sharp points on my swiss army knife tweezers I never would have gotten it off... again half way through removing the membrane on that half - I drew a drop of blood. My son was my helper - I got him to dip a folded paper towel and hold it - I moved the chick and her shell to his hand, and she KICKED - losing the bottom half of the shell - I could see blood vessels still, I quickly picked her up with her half shell and put her back in the bator....

[​IMG]

She lay like that for over an hour - breathing heavy.....

Her two bator mates making a huge noise:

[​IMG]

FINALLY - she's UP - she looks FANTASTIC although still wet... she's drying to a dark silvery grey it seems.....

[​IMG]

She still has some goop on her, and a piece of shell - but I'm not worried about that at this point... I'm just THRILLED I intervened in time for her to MAKE IT!!!!

[​IMG]

2. countryboy

countryboy Songster

Oct 31, 2007
    that has got to be one of the greatest grouping of pics i have seen. congratulations.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Thank you - I'll get another pic tomorrow when they're fluffed up!

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Great pics! Congrats on the hatch! Is the other little egg doing anything?? Come on baby! peep peep peep!!!

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Love them!!!! I have an incubator coming in the mail anyday now. I can't wait to have some new babies to play with!!!!!

6. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Songster

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Congrats on those purdy babies! You did great!

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

What precious little babies! Maybe the little one you helped is blue? [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Congrats! They are very pretty chicks.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Early morning pic's [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]