Hatch in Brinsea or lockdown in a a LG?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachelpotter, Nov 8, 2014.

1. rachelpotter

rachelpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    I have 15 eggs that are approaching lockdown in a few days. I'm trying to decide if I should keep them in the Brinsea Octagon 20 or move them to a still air Little giant? Seems like many people like to hatch in the styrobators...I should have plenty of room in the Octagon...these are shipped eggs, and I think I plan to hatch upright in cartons.

TIA

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I don't mind cleaning out my Brinsea.....but it isn't easy, and lots of people hate doing it.

I don't have the other incubator you have...... So I do not know how difficult it is to clean that one.

My Brinsea keeps ROCK SOLID temps...if those are expensive, drool worthy shipped eggs.....I would probably keep them in the Brinsea, simply because I would worry that the other incubator wouldn't keep the temps as steady as I like.

:confused:

You will have to weigh:

How well do you trust the other incubator to do a good job

Verses

How much of a pain is it for you to clean the Brinsea, and how much those eggs are worth

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I too don't mind cleaning my Brinsea out and love it because it holds temps well and I totally trust it. I always use egg cartons for hatching and it does stop some of the mess.

Good points there from Alaskan cleaning or risk the eggs in another incubator. I would pick the cleaning any day :thumbsup

4. rachelpotter

rachelpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    So the ONLY advantage would be ease of cleaning? I thought so many people hatched in a different bator because of some other benefit....

Heck no I don't mind cleaning....in the Brinsea it is!! Lockdown is Wednesday!

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

the only other benefit is if the eggs are different ages.....

then the ones that are going to hatch are moved into the separate hatcher, and the ones not yet ready to hatch get to stay at the lower humidity in the incubator.

However, that benefit doesn't apply in your case. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by