Hatch question

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about the icky egg situation but I'm glad your have a reliable broody momma!

Yeah, like I mentioned, it was really sad we lost an entire clutch of chicken eggs to a broken egg just recently. The momma didn't want to give up her gooped up eggs, even though they (and her) reeked. So we gave her a bath... All of the eggs were blatantly rotten (one even popped while I was moving).

We ended up buying her 10 babies at the feed store and she's happy as anything.

So it was sad to see our turkey momma possibly have the same issue. Though she already has hatched some and still has many clean eggs so hopefully all goes well

I'll report back to this thread if my goopy egg experiment works. They were definitely stinky but the peroxide definitely helped significantly and I sprayed them again last night. I'll candle them today as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, like I mentioned, it was really sad we lost an entire clutch of chicken eggs to a broken egg just recently. The momma didn't want to give up her gooped up eggs, even though they (and her) reeked. So we gave her a bath... All of the eggs were blatantly rotten (one even popped while I was moving).

We ended up buying her 10 babies at the feed store and she's happy as anything.

So it was sad to see our turkey momma possibly have the same issue. Though she already has hatched some and still has many clean eggs so hopefully all goes well

I'll report back to this thread if my goopy egg experiment works. They were definitely stinky but the peroxide definitely helped significantly and I sprayed them again last night. I'll candle them today as well.

Are you candling them to see if the eggs are still viable? Are they stinky because of the egg that exploded?

We lost an entire clutch of chicken eggs a few weeks ago to a similar issue,
It is upsetting that you've had this issue twice in the past few weeks. I've only had this once in all my years of hatching with broody hens. A thin shelled egg broke, probably by the hen walking on them, and got goop on the others. I lost that entire hatch even though I tried to clean the eggs and the hen. Good luck with your efforts. That was really upsetting because I had timed that hatch to coincide with my granddaughter visiting. I'm glad I had not told anybody what I was trying because she sure did not get to experience that hatch but was not disappointed. She just did not know.

I don't understand why you would have maggots inside. That egg had to have been broken a few days for flies to be able to lay eggs inside to hatch into maggots. What usually happens to cause eggs to go bad is that bacteria gets inside and multiply. Bacteria is usually the problem for eggs going bad. If your eggs are breaking you might check for thin shells.

It is upsetting that you've had this issue twice in the past few weeks. I've only had this once in all my years of hatching with broody hens. A thin shelled egg broke, probably by the hen walking on them, and got goop on the others. I lost that entire hatch even though I tried to clean the eggs and the hen. Good luck with your efforts. That was really upsetting because I had timed that hatch to coincide with my granddaughter visiting. I'm glad I had not told anybody what I was trying because she sure did not get to experience that hatch but was not disappointed. She just did not know.

I don't understand why you would have maggots inside. That egg had to have been broken a few days for flies to be able to lay eggs inside to hatch into maggots. What usually happens to cause eggs to go bad is that bacteria gets inside and multiply. Bacteria is usually the problem for eggs going bad. If your eggs are breaking you might check for thin shells.

Yes, it's definitely upsetting. I don't think it's an issue of thin eggs for us. For the hen, I'm really unsure what happened. We move the eggs from the main coop to her broody coop and everything seemed fine. And then it was clear awhile later the whole hatch was disgusting. But like I said, she was so clearly a good broody we bought her chicks and she's super happy.

For the turkey Jenny.... I'm really not sure either. We have 5 Jennies and I think she ended up with a few too many eggs. But once she went broody she basically stayed there all day, every day so we never got to check on her eggs. We had two Jennies broody, so removed all other Jennies and toms to another coop.

One of Jenny 1s eggs was a early hatch, and we think Jenny 2 likes the peeps. She decided to switch to sit right next to Jenny 1 (in the same nest box). Basically, she seems to like walking the chicks around (we have 7 now, more on the way) more than sitting on the eggs, while Jenny 1 just wants to sit.

Anyway, due to this nonsense we moved some of Jenny 2s egg to our already going incubator, and then moved some to Jenny 2s new position next to Jenny 1.

I think the broken, maggot egg was just squashed because we ended up with 2 jennys sharing duties on an extra large clutch.

Then, we removed quite a few due to the stink. And I also removed two other broken ones yesterday (very sad, one was clearly very developed with a dead chick hanging out, the other was undeveloped).

Anyway. They share 7 chicks right now, and still have maybe 10 eggs, though we don't know if anymore will hatch. We have another 30 or so in an incubator, 2 have hatched, 5 are currently pipped. And then our other incubator has 7 more eggs from the jenny that were stinky. We don't have high hopes for them but they were clearly developed. The peroxide misring has helped but the entire clutch still has a slight odor... We also removed a few due to maple syrup like ooze... I don't mind giving the rest a chance until we're absolutely sure they're dead.

Anyway, this long essay was basically to say I think the maggot egg was due to Jenny 2 wanting to babysit more than brood resulting in broken eggs.

UPDATE

So, as mentioned I had a stinky egg situation where one egg got rotten stinky gross stuff on a bunch of others our momma had.

So, we put any of the stinky ones in an incubator. I sprayed them down with peroxide several times that day and the next, and then every couple days. Eventually removed some that went 'maple syrup'.

The whole incubator got a bit stinkier than normal, but i continued to mist them down.

Anyway. First hatch today!

Even if this is the only one, well worth it. And for future people with this issue - misting with peroxide worked. I didn't clean any goop off at all (worried about removing bloom) just focused on killing bacteria.
IMG_20230525_171148.jpg

Back
Top Bottom