Hatch rate manipulation / control...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MsMelvin, Feb 18, 2012.

1. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Have any of you shaken eggs to control population...or do you let them all hatch then scramble to find homes for the ones you do not wish to keep?

She stayed on the nest yesterday so they are still "just eggs"... I want to humanly control their gosling numbers.

This will be Lucy's first hatch...last year she sat on eggs (unfertile) until I slipped the male gosling under her and got rid of the eggs. Luckily it worked.

I'd like her to experience the whole mother thing but not fourteen eggs worth!!!!!

Last; is there a weight difference in the eggs, male to female, as in the goslings?

I'd appreciate any thoughts...

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Shaking the eggs may work. Removing the number you do not want to hatch will work for sure.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Just take the eggs away from the goose and they won't ever hatch. Easy fix that way.

4. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Where are you? What breed of geese? I would put the goslings on CL or here. You shouldn't have any problems in the Spring of the year.

5. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    They shoud sell if you want to sell them. There should be someone that can tell you how to pack them for shipping on the forum.

6. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm afraid if I take the eggs she will re-build somewhere and lay more...her nest is in the safety of the coop now. Also, don't want to loose her trust.

They are pure American buffs, in NE PA. I do have four sold and will allow two to stay with the parents; so that leaves 8 if they all hatch.

Perhaps I'll let them be and start finding homes now...thanks all.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you only take some of the eggs - the number you do not want/need - she will not desert the nest. As far as losing her trust --------

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by