Hatch Rates??

jaimemae

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
What constitutes a 100% hatch rate? I started with 10. 2 were not fertile so I pulled them around day 6. One got cracked and died around day 15 so I pulled it. So at lockdown I had 7. All 7 hatched and are alive and well. So is that 100%?
Thanks!

no but that is really good. i had 10 eggs under my broody and 1 was infertile and one died shortly after a 10 hr hatching period. 80-90% which is really good considering that many people only have a 50-60% hatch rate. did you use a broody hen or a incubator?

I used a mini brinsea advance incubator. I did a hatch right before this one....bought 7 eggs, stuck em in there and all 7 hatched perfectly and are 4 weeks old now. And I was so ignorant about the whole thing, I didn't know about "lockdown" and I opened the lid numerous times and messed with the eggs and they still all hatched. Oops :/ Those were barred rocks and buff orps.
This batch that jist hatched are silkies. 7 perfect tiny babies :)

I love my buffs. I had 5 and the neighbors dog killed two in march and two more died randomly. Just went out in the morning and they were on the coop floor dead. It happened about 2 days apart. Boo.

Back
Top Bottom