Hatch started early... Before lockdown (humidity increase)...

Mmmaddie13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Berthoud, CO
Hi friends, it's been a while!

I'm having my first hatch in a few years and came home last night to a surprise keet in the incubator. Last night was supposed to be lock down but one was out and three were pipped when I got home from dinner with family.

I had not had a chance to up humidity yet as I was going to do that before I went to bed... so I come home, baby is already dried off, and two of the pips have dried fuzz sticking out.. I VERY quickly opened the incubator to fill both troughs and take the egg dividers out (brinsea octagon 20 advance).

There hasn't been any progress since last night (about 11 hours ago is when I came home) and I'm worried that the two with dried fuzz sticking out of the pip holes may be stuck...

When would you intervene in this case? I don't want to compromise the other eggs, but these guys are making me really nervous.

Thanks in advance, everyone. Hatching anxiety is real! :)

Last edited:
I just want to say mine tend to hatch day 25-26 so I put them in "lockdown" on day 24. Actually now I have a separate hatcher so on day 24 I candle them and any that have internally pipped I put in the hatcher, then the next day move the rest except any that look very wet still. I check on those ones about every 8 hours until they look okay to put in the hatcher. I don't really up humidity above 55% in the hatcher until I have external pips. My incubator is at about 40%.

I know it is probably too late, but if you see dry fuzz on a pipped keet it almost 100% certainly has dried membrane keeping it from turning. In those instances, I remove the top half of the shell and after checking the veins remove the membranes, leaving the bottom half of the shell on and making sure no membrane is stuck and keeping it from coming the rests of the way out if it wants.

Back
Top Bottom