hatchability of porous eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roxie03, Mar 12, 2009.

1. roxie03

roxie03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    School teacher here....I will admit that I am a novice but when I candled my eggs most of them are speckled, which I have been told means they are porous. I've also been told that porous eggs usually will not hatch. I got my eggs from a large hatchery through a school program they offer rather than a farm. This makes me believe that my eggs stand a better chance of hatching but I'm a little concerned about them being too porous. Advice please!!! I don't want my kids to be disappointed.

2. rikku_03

rikku_03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Anchorage
    on a post I read by Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain it says porous eggs have a good chance of hatching too except they need more humidity.
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain's Post

3. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    My standard cornish don't have great shell quality (one more thing to work on!) and occasionally I get a fairly porous egg.

They can hatch, but for me a high percentage candle as infertile. I have stopped setting them.

If they start developing they should be ok, just watch the air cell size as mentioned previously.

Good luck![​IMG]

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They are very hatchable. You just need to watch the humidty better if you are using a styrofoam incubator.

There is no difference in the internal part of a porous egg than a non porous egg.

5. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I have porous eggs pipping today. It's looking to be my best hatch ever.... my first attempt was a dismal failure. So yes, porous eggs can hatch.

6. Kelpie

Kelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Charles Town, WV
    I have had good luck with porous eggs. They are supposed to be more suseptable to bacteria but mine have done fine.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've had good luck hatching out porous eggs as well as non porous, hard as rock shelled eggs.

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not worry about it too much. I have also hatched porous egg. The babies are just as strong as the non-porous.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never had trouble hatching porous eggs.

10. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Thank you for makeing this post , I got some eggs from a local girl and some of them seem very porous so this is good info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by