hatchability of porous eggs

roxie03

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
School teacher here....I will admit that I am a novice but when I candled my eggs most of them are speckled, which I have been told means they are porous. I've also been told that porous eggs usually will not hatch. I got my eggs from a large hatchery through a school program they offer rather than a farm. This makes me believe that my eggs stand a better chance of hatching but I'm a little concerned about them being too porous. Advice please!!! I don't want my kids to be disappointed.

My standard cornish don't have great shell quality (one more thing to work on!) and occasionally I get a fairly porous egg.

They can hatch, but for me a high percentage candle as infertile. I have stopped setting them.

If they start developing they should be ok, just watch the air cell size as mentioned previously.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

They are very hatchable. You just need to watch the humidty better if you are using a styrofoam incubator.

There is no difference in the internal part of a porous egg than a non porous egg.

I have porous eggs pipping today. It's looking to be my best hatch ever.... my first attempt was a dismal failure. So yes, porous eggs can hatch.

Back
Top Bottom