Hatchable when weather is this cold?

Plain_View_Farm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Central Virginia
Our Chinese Geese have started laying. I know the boys have been doing their part for a few weeks now but the weather has been so cold still. Our days have been running in the 40's and they seem to lay during the day but it could be early morning when the temp is in the 20's.
I'm wondering if these eggs would hatch if there that cold until 4:00PM when we can gather them. They lay there eggs in a pile of hay outside their house they made into a nest but never sit on them after they are laid.

Thanks,
David

I think they would. As long as they don't sit out there for too long. I've had eggs in the breeder coop that were realllllly cold to the touch (it was below freezing in the coop) but not frozen/cracked, and they're developing nicely in the incubator as I type this. Just be sure to let them slowly come up to room temperature before putting them in the incubator.
smile.png
Give it a try... what do you have to lose?
big_smile.png

Well if your in Alaska your temps now are colder than here in Central Virginia. We really don't want to hatch any more geese for ourselves and never had any takers on the ones we hatched last year. I know someone though that wanted to try to hatch some.
Maybe I'll let them give it a go.

Thanks,
David

Back
Top Bottom