hatchaholics - what do YOU do with all the roos?

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
Hi all! I've now done my second chicken hatch. The very first hatch I did was guineas, since we didn't really care what gender those turned out to be- sold 20 on CL and kept the rest. My first chicken hatch was immediately rehomed to a nice lady with a broody that needed em (craigslist). Now I have a second hatch of baby chicks and I am thinking of keeping them until I can see what they will be when they grow up.
smile.png

I'm now addicted to hatching, but unfortunately (or fortunately for the chickens) I am a veg and even if I wasn't, I don't think I'd have the heart to kill something I had hatched unless it was sick/dying.

Is there anyone here who doesn't eat all the roos that come with these hatches? How do you rehome so many roos? I could probably get away with one if I kept him in the barn or far enough in our forest (we have 26 acres of forest) so that the neighbors won't hear, but I know in my last hatch I probably will have at least 8 roosters. Does 'free' always work? Yep, I know 'free' will attract some losers, so I'll offer them for a minimal fee unless I get desperate - and will people take them at 4-6 weeks, when you might be able to tell?

I keep hearing about feed stores that will take them but I checked the ones I know in my area and they looked at me oddly. And I don't see any auctions around here, so it will probably end up being craigslist - have had great luck rehoming day olds and guinea keets, but not sure about '10 free baby roosters!'. Full grown crowing roosters would probably go quickly so they could be dinner.

I know, I probably have no business hatching.
tongue.png
Anyone near me want all the free roosters I can get? LOL. I won't be hatching again until spring, at least. I've got enough for now.
smile.png

Oh, and I have no problems with OTHER people eating the roos, it's just me that can't do it.
tongue.png

I have a crazy aunt with a farm in michigan,.. I send all my extra quail and now I will send all my extra chickens to her.
Just send them to my crazy aunt,...
Craigs list is a good idea
smile.png

I think the most reasonalble thing to do is..... to have someone who wants them lined up before you hatch. If you are not hatching till spring you have lots of time. Also consider hatching popular show breeds, you may have a better chance of homing them to some kid who wants to show at the fair.

To bad there is not some sort of program to process unwanted roos for soup kitchens?

aww hunny..I process mine or give them away..Free almost never works for me. I put them into pairs ( girl boy) and sell them that way. if that doesnt work then I have to process-I have no other choices. I have 8 extras right now that will go:-( Im doing some today so that at chickenstock its not so much to do...It sucks to do it but the other option of keeping them all is at 0%...

The sad reality is most roos are destroyed on day 1 at most hatcheries. There is very little demand for them.

If you're willing to feed them until they get to around 20 weeks it's easy to find people on CL to take them. In many parts of the country, especially in ethnic areas, there is a demand for live standard breed chickens.

I've always sent all my own roos to freezer camp. It's not the easiest thing to do because, like you mentioned, these were birds that I knew when they were still an egg. I've got a guy out in my barn right now who is so cool but can't keep him (neighbors don't like crowing).

Quote:
yah my neighbor has complained about the crowing too-but I live on 6 acres in the middle of nowhere ( you'll see hahaha) and I told her she's going to have to deal with it. Every Fall it gets loud around here from all the crowing but I explained I have to let them grow out until I see which roos Im keeping for breeding and which will be processed. I warned her about chickenstock and she was in shock..I laughed but told her come the following Monday it will be much quieter and be patient-her hubby is coming! hahaha shes mad I got some neighbors into chickens-LOL Life IS good haha

I have a real problem....I'm vegetarian, so no rooster roast for me. I also cannot kill them.

so, what do I do?

Firstly I keep more boys than is necessary, then I advertise all over the place for rehoming, then I ask around, then I eventually have to get my husband to cull the remainder for the dog. I hate this to happen, and, in practice haven't had to do it too many times.

It IS something to consider seriously, though, because you will always end up with more roosters than you want if you hatch your own,

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom