Hatchalong! Setting Eggs April 6, 2012. Anyone else in?

I'm in!! I put 23 eggs in on April 7. (The fake egg, which has already "quit" takes up the 24th spot). I candled last night and removed one that wasn't fertile. I have really dark eggs with thick shells so hard to see, but the air cell was well formed in some of them. Then.... I started reading some of the threads here about humidity and I panicked and went and added some water. (To this point I had been doing an absolutely dry incubation in Alberta (very dry air... although I have a bunch of aquariums in the far end of the house ~ mobile ~ that do put out a fair bit of moisture into the air). Anyways.... I got a bit carried away and the moisture jumped to 50%. So I opened two more vents and it has now stabilized at 48%. Fortunately, the one reservoir doesn't have much water in it, so I think I will leave it to go totally dry. I just get convinced that dry hatch is the way to go and then I read something else and I'm not so convinced. This is my 3rd go. The first time the temps fluctuated too much. I had the fan pointing out across the eggs. After the first try, I turned the fan so it now blows across the light bulb. Temps have stabilized much better. Also, we've figured out how to turn the thermostat (how far, etc.) when we flip the eggs. That helps lots. Second try I think they developed fully but just didn't hatch. I was too "chicken" to do eggtopsies, but I'm pretty much convinced that they drowned. I think I had much higher (like between 40-50% humidity during the entire hatch) and the air cells seemed way too small to me at final candling at 18 days. So I think I'm going to let the water run out and humidity drop again until hatch. We'll see what this week brings. Anyways... here are a couple of pics of my homemade bator with eggs in it.

Hi all! I just found this thread. Can I join? I just finished a hatch on the easter weekend. Hatched 17 chicks out of 18 eggs. The last egg had a chick in it.. don't know why it didnt make it... it looked fine to me. Oh well. My very first time!!

I cleaned the incubator out Sunday April 8th, and let it dry in the sun, and set more eggs! This time, instead of mutt layer eggs... I have 11 palm turkeys and 9 guinea eggs... and last night (April 14th) , I threw 3 chicken eggs in. They should all hatch on May 6th.

I read on this site somewhere, that its a good idea to have a few chicks hatch with the poults and guinea's to teach them how to eat and drink. At least this way, if it all goes good, they should hatch roughly the same day or so.

I have a brinsea Octagon Advance 20... with the turning cradle. The manual says between 40-50% humidity for poultry, so I am keeping it exactly where I kept it for my first batch of eggs. 47%. Its all digital... and the temps are the same for chickens. 37.5---37.6 Hopefully this one goes like my last! I read you should candle turkey and guinea eggs at day 10. 3 more days!!!!!

I'll be candling tonight. I almost don't want to since most of the eggs in the one box had to be washed,
fl.gif
Man this is almost my least favorite time, when it should be my most favorite

I candled yesterday in day 7 of my duck eggs. I got to show me nieces and nephews very nice veins, visible embryo blobs and a very distinct little black eye on one. They thought it was the coolest thing ever! And for 8 to 13 year olds that's saying something! All six eggs look great.

I guess I am out... almost as soon as I said I wanted in, lol. I candled last night, and low and behold, only one egg out of all of them had veins and a moving embyro. That egg is now outside under the broody turkey hen. Shes sitting on others, but I doubt any will hatch (maybe the one I put out), as the other hen is laying in the same spot every day. Soooo, I have started collecting mutt hen eggs again, and will start again soon. Sigh.

Welcome to the new ones, and sorry to hear that bayvistafarm. Let us know if that turkey hatches that egg. Will a Turkey raise a chick or do you have to pull it out when it hatches?

Saturday night there was something smelly coming from the incubator so I did the sniff test and threw one out. Yikes! I never had an egg smell before. The power went of here but only for about 10 minutes, Thankfully! I heard other towns around me were out of power almost all day Sunday. Since the power had went out, I went to check the temps when I could smell something funny as soon as I walked into the room. So I opened the incubator and started sniffing eggs. It was a pretty strong smell so I threw it out. I did candle it and it wasn't clear so something started to grow in it. I couldn't get a good picture though.
Last night I candled and had 5 clear, 1 with a blood ring but couldn't couldn't see a dark spot at all like where an embryo should be. That's a total of 7 thrown out. So I'm down to 33 out of 40. A couple looked iffy but I left them in there and thought I could throw them out on day 18 before I put them in the hatcher. If they don't start smelling. Funny thing the eggs that I put in straight from the fridge had movement, So I'm glad I added those when I found the 3 cracked ones.
The duck eggs had much stronger veining then these chick eggs seem to have. Maybe it's the darker shell and i just can't see them as well or maybe it's just the way a chicken egg looks? I tried to get a picture but didn't really have much luck. I'll try again tonight with one that was from fridge that I know had a lot of movement. I think I have better luck holding the flashlight on the egg with it in my hand then setting it on my homemade candler. So I'll try and hold it and have someone else snap the pictures.

On a side note the ducks I hatched last week are getting big already! This is their morning out in the sunshine. I have 6 but the other one must be camera shy and ducked out of the picture.

Well, I candled yesterday. I threw out six eggs. Fifteen were developing nicely. Of the six I threw out, one looked unfertilized, three were fertilized but hadn't done anything, and two developed partway and then quit.

I know I am a little late but I just found this thread. I set 25 eggs in my Brinsea eco on April 6th. This will be my first hatch this year third overall for the Brinsea. I set 4 Ameracaunas, 3 SS Hamburgs, 4 mixed Phoenix, and 14 mixed eggs from my flock. Just got done candling and I am super excited to say they are all developing and movement was seen in all but two of the Ameracauna eggs and that was probably due to how hard it is to candle them very hard to see much through the blue shells. I am pretty excited about some of my mixed eggs I have a SS Hamburg who is covered by a RIR/Speck Sussex rooster they should be interesting chicks. Good luck to everyone hope your hatches go well.

Back
Top Bottom