Hatched a disabled chick

It would cost maybe 15 cents in masking tape to fix the legs if it is indeed splayed leg and the crooked toes. Chickens are flock animals, they biologically need other chickens to be with, their mental health can suffer by themselves. Despite what you've seen on instagram, it's not the best outcome.
It doesn't look like splayed leg or severely crooked toes, at least not enough to affect walking. it could be a tendon issue but we would need better pictures to tell. Like I said it could be a deficiency or neurological.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages.68093/
Would it be fine with one more chicken? I spoke to the person adopting and they will probably take another of the chicks

One bandaid is really all that’s needed to fix its legs. Maybe another to use for its foot if the toes are still slightly curled.
I’ve hatched a good number of jumbo guineas that had the same issue and they are completely fine after a day or two with a bandaid to help keep their legs together. No reason to call the chick disabled or think it will be crippled for life. It just needs a tiny bit of help and it should be just fine. 🙂

One bandaid is really all that’s needed to fix its legs. Maybe another to use for its foot if the toes are still slightly curled.
I’ve hatched a good number of jumbo guineas that had the same issue and they are completely fine after a day or two with a bandaid to help keep their legs together. No reason to call the chick disabled or think it will be crippled for life. It just needs a tiny bit of help and it should be just fine. 🙂
I used the same trick I did with my hen, it worked on her as a chick she was fine as a hen just small, the one where you just get a rubber band on their legs

I don't know much about splayed legs but I have had chicks with crooked toes. This seemed to happen when the temperature dropped prior to hatch in the incubator and in one case when a young hen did not cover her chicks, on a cold day, a few days after hatching. Has anyone else seen this?

I don't know much about splayed legs but I have had chicks with crooked toes. This seemed to happen when the temperature dropped prior to hatch in the incubator and in one case when a young hen did not cover her chicks, on a cold day, a few days after hatching. Has anyone else seen this?
Would it be the same with the humidity going down? I forgot to add more water so it was down a bit more then usual for awhile before adding more, I don’t have the chick anymore, someone adopted it, but I’m still in contact with that person to make sure the chick is alright

The last time I had chicks with crooked toes was with some Malay chicks a few years ago and I don't recall what the humidity in the incubator registered. The incident with the chicks that were not covered by the mother happened on a cold rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom