Hatched chicks looks like intestines hanging out?

here is a couple more pics. I trimmed that long thing. He is just not doing good though. He just sits there and he I have not seen him eat or drink.
sad.png

109371_huhuhg.jpg

109371_hughgjj.jpg

Quote:
I looked up trouble shooting failed hatches, There could be at least 3 things that could cause this. I would assume it falls under "rough or unhealed navels
1. Improper incubation temperatures
2. High humidity during hatching
3.Navel infection (Omphalitis)

He can go for 2-3 days without eating or drinking, as long as his yolk was absorbed ok. Looking at his butt, I don't know...
He's been thru alot, you'll just have to wait it out.
Did you try to give him some sugar water, or save a chick, or some other kind of booster?

HAS HE POOPED!!!??? jk
they last 3 days w/o Food or Water (although mine drank it up from the beginning
wink.png
because he was a little premature but i helped him.. couldnt watch him die.

also you might want to look at his butt, squeeze the poop out, then take a picture. this may seem very odd if you are new at this but post it somewhere and people will tell you if the chick is Male or Female. better do it while you can!

Wishing you and your new baby the best of luck!

109371_g.jpg

109371_photo.jpg

The long thing is dry but I was asuming that it the intestine? He is not walking well yet either. He is weak. He is seperated from the others.
Reviving this post here as it just helped me identify that my baby chick that hatched had the egg sac attached. I have had this happen prior but never with the umbilicle cord! The other times the egg sac was seemingly attached at the navel. Thanks BYC for the assist!! this community is the best.

Thank you for the great photos. To others viewing, please note all hatches are different, and don't ever clip the belly buttons without getting a good picture and asking for advise.
In this case it looks to be just the cord from the egg, and is safe to clip. some times it doesn't drop off and can drag about the shell causing belly contents, (intestines) to come out. You don't want to clip intestines.

Thank you for the great photos. To others viewing, please note all hatches are different, and don't ever clip the belly buttons without getting a good picture and asking for advise.
In this case it looks to be just the cord from the egg, and is safe to clip. some times it doesn't drop off and can drag about the shell causing belly contents, (intestines) to come out. You don't want to clip intestines.
I totally agree, but FYI, this thread is 12 years old. Don't worry, I've done this lots of times.

Back
Top Bottom