Hatched duck dragging leg

Yes he has! It looks all good!
I would make a painters tape splint and get him on poultry vitamins (lay foot flat on sticky side and fold over at the toes going partially up the leg). I use Poultry cell for these situations (tractor supply has it rooster booster is the brand name). I have done this with many ducklings having issue at hatch with great success.

I figured putting it with them would be helpful so maybe it would be motivated to try and stand up more. Some one mentioned on Facebook I could put some paper towels in a cup and put him in there to help strengthen his legs
Definitely but be careful. You may not want to do this depending on your experience with hatchlings, but you can CAREFULLY and SLOWLY extend its leg outward and inward in a physical therapy type exercise. That will increase blood flow and can help a great deal, but it can hurt a great deal too. A paper towel “nest” is always great as well.

Hi friends! My duckling is doing much better and is walking! He is getting his food and electrolytes and water. He didn’t poop that I could tell yesterday but has been poop a bunch today. Some seems to stick to his butt but I clean it right away. And he has gotten a warm bath! His poop is much different then the others it’s a dark green! Is that normal?

Attachments

• C65556FD-7F74-437F-B3DD-389D2C4D4C5E.jpeg
    C65556FD-7F74-437F-B3DD-389D2C4D4C5E.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi, just came across this and have read through the thread and was wondering how he is now? did he make it?
Yes he made it! He is very deformed/crooked but gets around perfectly fine!

Attachments

• 4C689197-1383-450B-87DC-6B087FD4F8E9.jpeg
    4C689197-1383-450B-87DC-6B087FD4F8E9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom