Hatched duck dragging leg

Wilder92

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2022
I had a duckling hatch last night with the yolk not fully absorb. He was extremely weak. It’s been about 18 hours and he is still very weak and cannot stand so he drags himself around with one of his legs dragging behind. I am assuming the worst that this guy isn’t going to make it. Any suggestions or ideas? Has anyone experienced this?

I have experienced this too. To help it absorb the yolk put it in a warm dry place, I used heated hand warmers under a bowl with paper towels. Try not to touch the leg much but while placing it in its new area feel if the leg is broken. In the egg the leg may have been under pressure or in a “weird position” and so the duckling can be essentially sore and weak.

When this happened to me 2/4 of the ones experiencing this made it. There is hope but prepare for the worst.

I have experienced this too. To help it absorb the yolk put it in a warm dry place, I used heated hand warmers under a bowl with paper towels. Try not to touch the leg much but while placing it in its new area feel if the leg is broken. In the egg the leg may have been under pressure or in a “weird position” and so the duckling can be essentially sore and weak.

When this happened to me 2/4 of the ones experiencing this made it. There is hope but prepare for the worst.
He almost seemed a deformed his neck seem crooked and his wings seem to be different sizes. I feel so bad for him :(

Attachments

• A038FE46-1443-4356-B35D-E30940C9AAAD.png
    A038FE46-1443-4356-B35D-E30940C9AAAD.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
He almost seemed a deformed his neck seem crooked and his wings seem to be different sizes. I feel so bad for him :(
Tuck his leg under him in the position it’s natural in. Looks to me like it grew differently in the egg than it was supposed to. You can support his head with a ball of paper towel to help the neck. He doesn’t look very well off. It’s a waiting game to see if he will make it. In the meantime try to get him comfortable. Hopes aren’t extremely high. Either way you are doing all you can. Best of luck

Tuck his leg under him in the position it’s natural in. Looks to me like it grew differently in the egg than it was supposed to. You can support his head with a ball of paper towel to help the neck. He doesn’t look very well off. It’s a waiting game to see if he will make it. In the meantime try to get him comfortable. Hopes aren’t extremely high. Either way you are doing all you can. Best of luck
Thank you 😞 he moves around a lot. I’ve tried putting his feet under her and he ends up just dragging himself around. He’s cuddling with his siblings. They all can tell something is wrong with him.

Thank you 😞 he moves around a lot. I’ve tried putting his feet under her and he ends up just dragging himself around. He’s cuddling with his siblings. They all can tell something is wrong with him.
Well the cuddling is great because the hurt one will learn from the healthy ones. It copies healthy behavior. Time will tell. If it gets worse try to separate it completely. Individual care may be a last resort. With it moving, dont let it get on top a sibling as it may stumble over it and hurt itself further. I have had weak ducks do that. You’re doing great!

Well the cuddling is great because the hurt one will learn from the healthy ones. It copies healthy behavior. Time will tell. If it gets worse try to separate it completely. Individual care may be a last resort. With it moving, dont let it get on top a sibling as it may stumble over it and hurt itself further. I have had weak ducks do that. You’re doing great!
I figured putting it with them would be helpful so maybe it would be motivated to try and stand up more. Some one mentioned on Facebook I could put some paper towels in a cup and put him in there to help strengthen his legs

Back
Top Bottom