Pekin duck

Maddiiee

Hatching
Mar 21, 2024
Duck had a pip Monday night & started working since Tuesday afternoon. It never progressed too far so today I helped it hatch. It hatched about an hour ago and isn’t standing yet which I assume is normal? It’s in the incubator still by itself it’s the only egg that we had make it. I just noticed it has this little bulge on its belly, is this normal? Do I need to do anything about it?

Duck had a pip Monday night & started working since Tuesday afternoon. It never progressed too far so today I helped it hatch. It hatched about an hour ago and isn’t standing yet which I assume is normal? It’s in the incubator still by itself it’s the only egg that we had make it. I just noticed it has this little bulge on its belly, is this normal? Do I need to do anything about it?
please post a picture and dont do anything about it yet, until someone who knows what to do comes along here, like @New duck mommy 2021 @KathiQuacks

Attachments

• IMG_8254.jpeg
    IMG_8254.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 6
It’s been about 8 hours since hatched
It is normal to be tired and to see the bump. The bump is sort of like the umbilical cord or belly button on a baby. Just keep an eye on it. You don’t want it to bleed or get infected. You can dab some triple antibiotic cream on it if it looks open (it doesn’t in the picture). It will get smaller every day.

Babies I have had to help hatch always seem to take extra long to get on their feet. Can he stand? How long has it been, your posts seem to say different things.

Last edited:
It is normal to be tired and to see the bump. The bump is sort of like the umbilical cord and bellybutton of a baby. It used to go to the membrane inside of the egg. Just keep an eye on it. You don’t want it to bleed or get infected. You can dab some triple antibiotic cream on it if it looks open (it doesn’t in the picture). It will get smaller every day.

Babies I have had to help hatch always seem to take extra long to get on their feet. Can he stand? How long has it been, your posts seem to say different things.
It has been 8 hours since he’s been out of the egg! (When I posted this it was freshly hatched— with help) it hasn’t stood up yet it’s been wiggling and rolling around but hasn’t been able to stand up yet.

Last edited:
It has been 8 hours since he’s been out of the egg! (When I posted this it was freshly hatched!) it hasn’t stood up yet it’s been wiggling and rolling around but hasn’t been able to stand up yet.
If he is have trouble keeping his legs under him, it can help to confine him in a tea cup or small bowl lined with paper towels with his legs tucked under him. It needs to be small enough that he can’t roll to his side. The idea is to let him rest with his legs in the correct position. He will push up on the legs to get out of the cup and strengthen them. Usually they only have to stay in a few hours. I would leave him in the incubator so you don’t have to worry about the temperature. He could stay that way overnight.

Back
Top Bottom