Hatching ducks days 21 weigh in

Violanna

Songster
Nov 25, 2022
DFW Texas
Ok so I’m on day 21 of hatching duck eggs. I have 4 magpie cross eggs and 7 Pekin cross eggs. Mommas are the magpie and Pekin, drakes were either black Swedish or khaki Campbell. Well my eggs have amazing growth, almost 100% blacked out and good movement.

However I’m worried they haven’t lost enough weight. The Pekin have all lost 6 or 7g and the magpie 4 or 5g. However based on starting weight my Pekin were due to lose 9-10g and the magpies 7.5-8g. Weight loss has been pretty steady at -2g weekly for the Pekin and -1.5g weekly for the magpie. Should I be worried?

I am planning to remove my auto turner and lockdown in 2 days as air sacs are beginning to grow swiftly. So I need to know if I need to do anything before then. I am keeping humidity around 60% as I was instructed to do before I started. Temp is adjusted from 99.5-100 to maintain a 99 reading on my accurite thermometer. I’ve only had to raise it to 100 twice and only for a few hours on extra cold mornings.

Edit to add- this is a homeschool project for my kids so I added their chart they are keeping for candling and weigh in days. Yes they are all named after duck Pokémon!

Attachments

• C4A63516-32FD-4427-BEA1-4D5466867B3F.jpeg
    C4A63516-32FD-4427-BEA1-4D5466867B3F.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 20
In the future I wouldn't
have the humidity quite so high (45-50). I personally would lower it to 40 for the next two days before bumping in back up to 65 for hatching. Keep an eye for early hatchers from the humidity being a bit high.

In the future I wouldn't
have the humidity quite so high (45-50). I personally would lower it to 40 for the next two days before bumping in back up to 65 for hatching. Keep an eye for early hatchers from the humidity being a bit high.
Ducks need high humidity to mimic mom laying with wet feathers.

My ducks don't have wet feathers when sitting in their nests. The oil on the feather repels the water. Not losing enough moisture means humidity was to high.

Back
Top Bottom