Hatched guinea fowls

Buremu Sarapio

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
I recently met boys with a Guinea fowl that they had killed & they were also carrying its eggs so i bought & ate the dead one then gave the eggs to one of my broody hens & they are already hatching but can a hen raise them or it's going to kill them

I recently met boys with a Guinea fowl that they had killed & they were also carrying its eggs so i bought & ate the dead one then gave the eggs to one of my broody hens & they are already hatching but can a hen raise them or it's going to kill them
A hen can raise guinea keets but I do not recommend it. The keets need a higher protein feed such as a good turkey or game bird starter for proper development.

The feed will not hurt the hen. The problem is the keets imprinting from the chicken. When the keets grow up they will not have the ability to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens.

Guineas have entirely different behaviors than do other fowl. When breeding season comes around and their racing and chasing along with attacks from behind with feather pulling and breaking are not understood by other fowl. They can cause great stress to chickens.

I have used broody chickens to hatch guinea eggs. Once the keets are dry and fluffy, I take them from the hens and raise them by themselves in a brooder.

I have hatched guinea keets with a broody hen. Once they hatch, just remove them from the nest and begin giving them gamebird starter to feed on. And water.
Use a heatlamp to keep the area at about 33°C

A hen can raise guinea keets but I do not recommend it. The keets need a higher protein feed such as a good turkey or game bird starter for proper development.

The feed will not hurt the hen. The problem is the keets imprinting from the chicken. When the keets grow up they will not have the ability to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens.

Guineas have entirely different behaviors than do other fowl. When breeding season comes around and their racing and chasing along with attacks from behind with feather pulling and breaking are not understood by other fowl. They can cause great stress to chickens.

I have used broody chickens to hatch guinea eggs. Once the keets are dry and fluffy, I take them from the hens and raise them by themselves in a brooder.
It seems guineas can even attack chicken let me put them in a brooder & I'll raise them separately.
Thanks so much

I have hatched guinea keets with a broody hen. Once they hatch, just remove them from the nest and begin giving them gamebird starter to feed on. And water.
Use a heatlamp to keep the area at about 33°C
Thanks but when can I get them out of the brooder

Thanks but when can I get them out of the brooder
My keets are typically out of the brooder at 2 weeks old at which time I move them to a grow out pen that still has supplemental heat available until they are acclimated to the ambient temperature. During the hot parts of the year the acclimation can happen very quickly. During the cold months it can take a little longer.

My keets are typically out of the brooder at 2 weeks old at which time I move them to a grow out pen that still has supplemental heat available until they are acclimated to the ambient temperature. During the hot parts of the year the acclimation can happen very quickly. During the cold months it can take a little longer.
2 Weeks is amazing I wish hens could do the same

Back
Top Bottom