Hatched May 18th

Tasha1981

Songster
Jul 9, 2015
Gonzales Louisiana
Hi, I had chickens as a young girl. I always wanted to raise them as an adult. As a child we had white leghorns. I remember my little 3toe she was born missing a toe on each foot, she was the first chicken I butchered I was 4 and didn't realize I had eaten her for dinner for a few more years.

As an adult I either wanted RIR or Black Copper Marans. I looked everywhere for young pullets of each breed. After months I decided to order from cacklehatchery.com. They had RIR but not BCM so the decision was made for me. I originally wanted 5 or 6 but they had a minimum of 15 to ship for temperature purposes. I ordered 14 pullets and 1 cockeral. They sent be 2 extras,1 pullet and 1 straight run. Now I have 16 pullets and 1 cockeral. They are 7 1/2 weeks old and getting so big. The hatchery said they were hatched on the 18th but I think a few came from as early as the 16th. I'm thinking October for my first eggs. Hmmm? Any thoughts?

Welcome to BYC! So glad you could join us!

We love talking about chickens, so feel free to ask any questions you may have or just share fun stories and pictures!

We have some Rhode Island Reds too, and they are full of energy and curiosity. They are always getting themselves into things, like stuck on top of the barn roof!
smile.png
They're a lot of fun.

Best of luck with your new flock!

I think so. All breeds mature at different speeds to one another, so it can vary. They look very healthy.

This is my 3 week old, Blue. Of course, she won't grow up to be blue, but I think the name is going to stick.

Back
Top Bottom