Hatched too early?

Tvan18

Chirping
Sep 28, 2022
NE Wisconsin
I just had a chick hatch. It has just been belly down chirping and the vent appears to have blood and yolk sack still sticking out a bit. Did it hatch too early? Days wise it isn’t, it’s right at the start of 23, but for itself it would appear it is somehow earlier than it’s little body needed. 😢 is it for sure a goner?

Attachments

• 2E56D621-9120-4E86-88F1-49CD93159500.jpeg
    2E56D621-9120-4E86-88F1-49CD93159500.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 57
I just had a chick hatch. It has just been belly down chirping and the vent appears to have blood and yolk sack still sticking out a bit. Did it hatch too early? Days wise it isn’t, it’s right at the start of 23, but for itself it would appear it is somehow earlier than it’s little body needed. 😢 is it for sure a goner?
Nothing is for sure 🤞 She is probably just exhausted from busting out, does she perk up at the sound of your voice?

I’ve seen much more severe prolapse/yolk sack from a newly hatched chick, and it just worked itself out and the chick was fine. How long has she been out?

I hope everything works out for the baby, please keep us updated 🙏

That was only a couple minutes after it busted out. It was chirping loudly and wiggling then about an hour later was moving somewhat around the incubator, but not walking. I did put triple antibiotic over it to try and prevent infection.
When I went to bed it was still moving and chirping. I told myself to just leave it be and will see in the morning if it made it through the night and can give it some nutridrench then if it is dried off and doing better to try and perk it up. Does that sound like anything that would help?
This is my 3rd time hatching and I have never encountered it like this before.

That was only a couple minutes after it busted out. It was chirping loudly and wiggling then about an hour later was moving somewhat around the incubator, but not walking. I did put triple antibiotic over it to try and prevent infection.
When I went to bed it was still moving and chirping. I told myself to just leave it be and will see in the morning if it made it through the night and can give it some nutridrench then if it is dried off and doing better to try and perk it up. Does that sound like anything that would help?
This is my 3rd time hatching and I have never encountered it like this before.
You have a good plan, to me. Just make sure, if he’s with his hatch mates, that they don’t peck at those areas, or it could be a whole different discussion. Good ouch, how to see him in the morning :wee

Poor little thing! I hope he survives. Please update us on how he goes :)

Back
Top Bottom