Hatched VS. already born chicks

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Has anyone noticed any difference in temperments between birds you bought as chicks already and ones you have hatched and beent here from day one?
Just wondered if perhaps the hatched ones might be more used to you or being held sooner etc than ones with less human contact.
Wondered if anyone noticed.
Thanks!
Angela

Generally, no. The ones I have hatched are very, very friendly adult birds, and I have often wondered if while they were in the egg in the incubator in my den & then in the brooder in the same place, they got used to hearing human sounds and seeing us. As chicks though, mine all act wild & crazy (except the ones that need extra care because they are weak and so the extra attention they get makes them more tame as chicks).

I have definitely noticed that when my hen hatches them outside & raises them, they run faster and are almost impossible to catch-- i.e. they are a lot more skittish as adults.

I've bought day olds and hatched out chicks, both turn into nice calm birds since I've been around them alot..Now a broody hen and her chicks is a different story...I find them to be aloof alot more!!...

I only have experience with guineas in that regard. The ones I hatched in my house are sweet birds. The ones I have adopted from others are more aggressive and less trusting of me.

I agree that the ones we hatch are more accustomed to our voices, are handled alot more and learn very early that we are their Moms.

Back
Top Bottom