Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Charlie Mack, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Charlie Mack

Charlie Mack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    perkinston,ms.
    I have a GQF hatcher. I am having trouble keeping the humidity up above 60 %. I have some bantam eggs hatching and the shell is stuck to several of them. All ports on the back are closed and I have a 3 1/2 inch high and several inches long container full of water. What can I do to increase humidity. Temp is at 99 degrees. Any help greatly appreciated. Thx...

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Do you have the automatic water tank set up on it (5 gallon bucket with tubes that run to the water tray in the top?)

They make wicking filters that set in that try, it can take 2 at a time. Those sit right in front of the fan, and can really ramp up the humidity. You'll notice your tank drain faster, too!

3. Crooked-Creek

Crooked-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    North Texas
    Hello, I have a GQF also. Not sure it's the same model that you have. Did your GQF come with a wick? If not I suggest closing the vents on the top left side and adding a large sponge the sits in the water and sticks up above the water enough to allow air to flow through it.

1 person likes this.
  4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Depth of the water doesn't make any difference as long as you don't run dry. Surface area and extra evaporation area as provided by the wick or sponge should bring it up. Also, I have found that the door seal on the Sportsman is critical in maintaining good humidity levels. Go around the perimeter of the door with a lit candle to check for drafts where your humidity might be escaping. If you find leaks there, tape will get you through this hatch and you can replace the seal later.

5. Crooked-Creek

Crooked-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    North Texas
    Hello Charlie Mack, How did things turn out with you hatch? Where you able to get the humidity above 60?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by