hatcheries with reasonable minimums?

AngelaJ

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2020
Hi
We had our heart set on 2 chicks at our local hatchery but they wanted $200 for them! $100 for the 2 chicks and then $100 for a mandatory supply kit ( which we don’t need). That’s crazy so we are looking elsewhere. Is anyone aware of a hatchery who will sell us 3 Female chicks? At a reasonable price?

Hi
We had our heart set on 2 chicks at our local hatchery but they wanted $200 for them! $100 for the 2 chicks and then $100 for a mandatory supply kit ( which we don’t need). That’s crazy so we are looking elsewhere. Is anyone aware of a hatchery who will sell us 3 Female chicks? At a reasonable price?
My only recommendation is Murray McMurray hatchery, tractor supply, incubate your own eggs, or IDEALpoultry :thumbsup

What hatchery was that? And what breeds? That sounds crazy.
Are you in the US?
Mypetchicken will also sell you 3 chicks but any place that does charges a fortune for shipping because they have to be one day shipping.
I myself would just buy the regular shipping minimum just so if any I wanted were lost. After a week or two I'd sell the extras and cover all the costs from those.

I have seen several hatcheries with a minimum number of 3 or 6 I believe. They seem to charge around $35 dollars for a small order shipping fee, which seems pretty high to me when an order of 15 will be shipped free. If you just want a small number, like others have said maybe find someone else to share an order with or if you have a farm supply store in the area that carries live baby chickens that may be an option as well. We have ordered in the past from Murray McMurray Hatchery and have been well satisfied but did have some issues with the shipping one time, and picking them up at our post office is more complicated and uncomfortable than seems like it should be. Lately we have just been buying them at farm stores, much easier.

Back
Top Bottom