Hatcheries?

How long have you had chickens?

• above 5 years

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • less than 5 years

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
We are completely sold on chicks from Murray-McMurray. Shipping to Alaska can be tricky at best but all of our chicks (18) arrived safe on an initial order. The next order was 25 Cornish X and all made it here alive as well and we didn't lose a chick. They may cost a little more but are worth it in our minds.

Thanks! Thats what went ahead with getting a full grown bird locally
1f601.png

Last edited:
Thanks for replying! I'm looking for a small batch, buff orpingtons, low death from shipping, etc.

I've found the death rate from hatcheries depends more on the shipping itself. Did the chicks make it straight through? Did they wind up stopping for a while in transit or even getting lost for a day (happened to me)? Time of year. Outside temperatures. Distance they had to travel. All these seemed to make more of a difference than which hatchery is used.
All things being equal, a larger order probably ships better than a smaller order as the greater number can generate more body heat.
You might want to start out checking out hatcheries closest to you and then seeing what others are saying about them.

Back
Top Bottom