hatcheries

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chasep, Jan 26, 2009.

1. chasep

chasep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    im just trying to see what hatcheries yall order from and how they are?
    good experiences or bad experiences? share with us!
    such as i use ideal and have success from them! very nice and care for the chicks![​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My first group came from McMurray. 11 of 26 died the first 6 days.

I bought some juvies that came from Cackle. Nice birds... good layers.

I have no experience with anyone else.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I had great experience with Cackle Hatchery. I purchased barred rocks and they sent a couple of extras. All arrived in good health and started laying at 20 weeks to the day.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I've had good experience with McMurray, never a dead chick and all thriving to adulthood.

I am going to try MyPetChicken to see if I can get birds closer to breed standard.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had two orders from McMurray with great success. I love my birds. They shipped what I ordered in a timely manner. My first order, one died in shipping, two died within a day. I was left with 44 out of 47 shipped. My second order, none died in shipping, all are alive now at 6 months. I ordered 25 rainbow layers, plus the free rare and exotic, and ended up with 25 pullets. My free rare and exotic is a white polish pullet.

I've had one order from Ideal, also with great success. I ordered 10 blue bantam cochins, straight run as they don't sex bantams. I ended up with 10 blue babies, 5 males and 5 females. They also shipped 15 packing peanuts, one of which died in shipping. So the 24 who arrived alive are all alive and well now at 14 weeks tomorrow. I ordered on Monday, they hatched Wednesday, arrived on Thursday.

I couldn't be any happier with either hatchery, unless they sold show quality birds for the same prices [​IMG]. My hatchery kids are beautiful, though, and I wouldn't know show quality if it walked up and looked me in the eye anyway.

6. samapp

samapp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Mississippi
    I ordered from Ideal twice last year and did not have any DOA's or other deaths, besides from preditors.(A oppossum made a hole in the tin that is around the bottom of my coop and got 5 of my 6 silkies and my rouen drake. [​IMG] ) The tin is old, but I had no idea they could make a hole in it.

I also like the fact that there is no minimum order, just a minimum $20.00 purchase. Lots of hatcherys have a 25 minimum chick order.

I have just put in a new order from them to be delivered next month and I would recommend Ideal to anyone.

7. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    I have got chicks from Townline Hatchery and from Welp and did not have any problems. All the chicks were healthy. I just placed an order with Ideal, so I will know in a few months how I like them. I did like their selection.

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I ordered from McMurray and all arived healthy and none died. I did recieve one roo in my order of pullets, but he is a great rooster. I think they're good looking birds and get many compliments about them, but have no idea about show quality. They will be a year old at the end of march.

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I've purchased from Privett, McMurray, and Ideal. All the chicks arrived healthy and did equally well. However, I think you get the best results by ordering from the closest hatchery, so the chicks are in the mail for the least amount of time.

You can find a list of hatcheries by state here: http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_003.htm

Kathy
    in Texas

10. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by