Hatchery assorted breeds?

geckolas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Tampa, FL
I just recieved 27 hatchery chicks. While I have figured out most, I was stumped on the following. Any help would be appreciated :)

I'm clueless on because of the brown spot on its head.

And could these be Brahmas?

Last edited:
I just recieved 27 hatchery chicks. While I have figured out most, I was stumped on the following. Any help would be appreciated
smile.png

I'm clueless on because of the brown spot on its head.

This might be a black tailed buff Japanese bantam, or a black tailed buff OEGB, or a buff OEGB. There are a LOT of possibilities...

The brown one is a partridge cochin. The black and tan one is a buff brahma. :) Hope this helped!!!

Thanks you so much. I hope you are right about the second picture- I wanted a Cochin! The hatchery that I got these chicks from doesn't sell game hens and its one of my largest chicks (the angle of the photo makes it seem small). I took another look at the feathers and its not all white. Golden buff?

And I hope you don't think that I'm trying to disagree with you. Everyone on this forum is more of an expert than I am. I am just trying to provide a little more information about the mystery chick which frankly could be anything. :)

My TSC had chicks last year that looked like your white one with the spot. They were a leghorn/australorp cross laying machine breed - leghorn white dominant with some random black leakage. So your chick could be a leghorn cross production breed.

Okay. Now I'm thinking Delaware. If I look really closely, I can almost see some eyeliner. And like I mentioned before, the new feathers are coming in slightly salt and pepper looking.

Or a Leghorn.

Or non of the above ;) I love a good mystery.

Back
Top Bottom