Hatchery chicks vs. Home bred chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goatlady23, Mar 8, 2013.

1. goatlady23

goatlady23 Out Of The Brooder

I've heard that if you get breeds that naturally have the brooding instinct like Silkies and Orpingtons from hatcheries then the brooding instinct is pretty much bred out of them. But if you get the same types of breeds from private breeders then they still have the brooding instinct. All of my Orpington hens came from private breeders and 2 don't brood at all but all of my Silkies do and 2 of the hens, that I bought as adults, came from a hatchery. I know it also depends on the individual bird. I was just wondering if this was common knowledge or....? I usually don't buy chicks from feed stores or hatcheries if I can help it. I get them from breeders but I just got 6 laced Wyandotte chicks from Wilco and I've read and heard that this breed is a good brooding breed and I'm wondering if them being from a hatchery is going to change that? I can always incubate eggs. I just usually prefer the hen to do it herself if she's willing.
    What kind of experience does everyone else have with hatchery chicks vs. home raised farm chicks?
    Thanks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My LF Cochin hens that came from a hatchery were brooding fools, but so were the Cochin girls I got from breeders. My Orps were the same. I think as long as you stick with breeds known for brooding and steer away from production breeds, chances are pretty good someone will go broody. All of my Silkies came from a breeder, some have gone broody, some haven't....
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by