Hatchery didn't send my birds

I have always had good experiences with Metzer getting back to me. The fastest response would be calling them. I remember they had issues with their some of their, I think it was, runners hatching last year. Several people had orders delayed because of poor hatch rates.
I had previously as well. At least their ducks are worth the wait. My first pair of 300s laid enormous eggs and about 320 a year

I got an email from metzer this morning basically just saying things didn't work out, we didn't ship your birds. We will send them in 3 weeks.

This is after an email last Friday explicitly saying I would hear from them by Wednesday if anything like this were going to happen.

I ordered and paid over a month ago, and at the time they had hundreds left. They gave me no reason at all, and frankly I don't have the brooder space to push this back 3 weeks with broilers coming just after my new date.

Anyone have any ideas what could have happened. It seems really disrespectful to me.
It may have to do with the Bird Flu pandemic. You could just call and ask them. Personally, there's no way I'd be getting any new birds right now from anywhere.

I would honestly think it would have to do more with the weird weather California has been experiencing. There has been a lot of strong winds knocking power out. It went from a high of 90 to a low of 30 in my area.

California hasn't yet had a case of avian flu. I haven't seen any thing about it on the west coast. The Tennessee facility could have it, but they could also just be dealing with issues of brand new facility.

I would honestly think it would have to do more with the weird weather California has been experiencing. There has been a lot of strong winds knocking power out. It went from a high of 90 to a low of 30 in my area.

California hasn't yet had a case of avian flu. I haven't seen any thing about it on the west coast. The Tennessee facility could have it, but they could also just be dealing with issues of brand new facility.
It HAS been weird here.

I think we might be neighbors - haha! I'm in Nevada County. We just had 80s, then it plummeted to the upper 20s, which is waaay too cold. And the Sierras got dumped on, creating the usual traffic/ground shipping nightmares.

Well the office person told me I was bumped that far because the ducks for the next weeks were already sold.... I'm sore of me having paid over a month ago, while there were a ton of birds available. Basically it seems like I'm getting bumped 3 weeks because I'm a small buyer.

They had a brooder go out, but she was specific about the next few weeks already being sold, not because other people were bumped back into my hatch.

I'm so sorry! Be sure to let us know what you find out from them. That must be so frustrating.
They told me they had a bad hatch, and I was bumped back because the next 3 weeks were already sold... even though I paid a month before my ship date. But I got them to bump it up a week because I only have about 4 weeks of brooder time at that point

Last edited:
They told me they had a bad hatch, and I was bumped back because the next 3 weeks were already sold... even though I paid a month before my ship date. Bi got them to bump it up a week because I only have about 4 weeks of brooder time at that point
I paid for my goslings several months in advance (paid for in Nov) and got bumped to late June because of bad hatches. That makes sense to me. Not an ideal situation, but understandable.

I hope it works out.
:fl

I paid for my goslings several months in advance (paid for in Nov) and got bumped to late June because of bad hatches. That makes sense to me. Not an ideal situation, but understandable.

I hope it works out.
:fl
If that were the problem they should have told me by Wednesday like they said they would though. It wouldn't have been a surprise.

I'm only annoyed because I'm getting pushed behind people who paid after me

Back
Top Bottom