Hatchery EGGS Or NONE HATCHERY?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickens2009, Dec 17, 2009.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Hope I Put This In The Right Group? If Not I'm Sorry. Being New To Chickens I Was Just Wondering The Difference Between Hatchery Eggs And None Hatchery Has It Seems Some People Make A Really Big Deal About It?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I think the main difference is breeding. Hatcheries are not a picky about culling stock that is not consistent with breed. For example I received gold laced wyandotte from a hatchery that have a single comb as opposed to the breed standard rose comb. Non-hatchery breeders would have culled any bird that did not meet the strictest of standards for a particular breed. Hatcheries are in it to make a profit, while most reputable breeders are in it to promote the particular breeds they enjoy.

I would certainly look to the breeders on this forum for hatching eggs for a particular breed. However, if your not too concerned about the breed standards and just want some nice pets, hatcher eggs are fine and probably more economical.

Good Luck,
    Marcy

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I really think it's up to you and what you plan to do with your chickens. I have 6 very lovely hatchery birds that I adore - 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Australorps, a silver-laced Wyandotte, and a Dark Cornish (that was sold to me as a speckled sussex...but grew up to be a DC...that's one issue you may have with non-breeders [​IMG] ). They are healthy, happy, beautiful girls that do a good job of laying eggs for us. Which is why I bought chickens in the first place. I don't intend to breed or show them, I just wanted a nice little group of chickens to enjoy.

I have also heard that you can't get real Ameraucanas from a hatchery, but mine seem very breed correct, and lay blue eggs.

I guess I look at it as kind of like buying a puppy from a breeder or getting a specific breed of puppy from a pet store. You KNOW the puppy from the pet store is not a show puppy, but does that really matter? If it does matter to have a very correct conformation, then you pay the extra money to get the higher quality animal. However, there are poor quality breeders of all animals, so you need to check them out before you buy.

If you want to breed or show a specific breed of chickens, I would find a good breeder. If you just want birds to hang out, produce eggs, and provide entertainment, then there are nice hatcheries that will give you fine birds for a cheaper price.

Chicknjane posted whiile I was rambling...and did a better job of it. [​IMG] What she said! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    You can also expect to pay a much higher price for eggs from a small breeder as opposed to a hatchery. $50 for a dozen eggs from a breeder is not uncommon! So that's a concern for some of us...I'd love to have 'show quality' birds from a good breeder, but I don't have that kind of money to spend on them, so I must be content to start with what I can afford, and then work on improving them from there if I want to raise a purebred bird.

5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

PROBABLY the difference in a LINCOLN S.U.V. and a FORD S.U.V.

Mostly "window dressing". [​IMG] [​IMG]

my 2 pesos worth,
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

6. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I Mostly Just Want Chickens For Eggs And Enjoyment But Was Interested In The Difference To Make Sure That There Was Nothing Wrong With Hatchery Eggs. Started With 3 Hens And A Roo, Hatched A Few, Culled A Few And Now I'm Addicted!! Thanks For All The Great Info. God Bless!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by