hatchery for small orders?

Quote:
But they do sell chicks and in small quantities and they are a good company to deal with.

True, but they get their chicks from Meyers.

Quote:
TSC started a new policy earlier this year I think, that only employees handle chicks. From reading on here this seems to be unevenly enforced, but at least there were barriers up in the 2 stores in my area. Disease transmission should be fairly low but of course could happen. Mine had bins of sexed pullets and I think even sex link chicks. Here, at least, the problem is a limited number of breeds. Last spring, mine had Buff Orp, Barred Rock, a bin of mixed bantams, Black Australorps, and another bin labeled NH Red, RIR, and production red, all in together. All bins but the bantams were sexed pullets. I bought 4 BA's and got one rooster. Besides TSC there is a local feed store here which carries chicks in the spring, shipped from Ideal. They carry a few more breeds and unlike TSC, know what and when they will have. Also they will add a breed into their order if you ask them to. Here, if I ask at any feed or hardware store, they know which one will carry chicks in the spring and will tell me who. You might just try asking around and see what your options are.

Definitely loving this thread. I just ordered from Stromburg's, but their minimum order is 25.

Have you considered placing an ad on Craigs to see if anyone might want to split an order with you? It might be a great way to meet new chicken friends in your area. (That's a big deal to me ... if you live on a farm, it's probably a different story.)
wink.png

Good luck! I've also only heard positive reviews from MyPetChicken, but I've got no experience. I'll be following this thread for sure.

Also, have you tried the auction section here on BYC? Lots of knowledgable folks who might have more than they can use of what you're looking for.
smile.png

I haven't bought from TSC, but I would be concerned. I picture people working on their property, with their animals and the animal's messes, then coming up to the store without changing. They'd walk around, putting hands in pockets, wiping dust from some product off on their jeans, etc., then go ogle the chickies, sharing all the airborne particles they carried from their farm, plus all they picked up in the store. That being said, one of my friends had poor self control when she started out, and everytime they went to buy supplies at TSC and the like, they would come home with new poultry and toss them in with the rest, and if they had any problems, I haven't heard about it. Also, I know that several TSC's are getting more secure and protective of their poultry: ours had 8ft gates 1ft away from the tubs surrounding our chicks, and only certain employees could unlock it this year!

Our Atwoods store - like TSC, only better IMO, has locks on the lids of their chick bins. That way only employees are handling the chicks and in fact at our local store only two employees are allowed to handle and care for them. They also get their chicks from Ideal, which would be the closest hatchery to this Atwoods.

They offer chicks two times a year, spring and fall.

Last edited:
craigslist.com is a great place to find different varieties. We have adopted an orphan from their and also rehomed different hens and roosters. Worth looking into...

Not sure we have Atwoods around here-I will have to investigate!!!
I see so many temptations on craigslist allt he time but I am concerned about bringing diseases into my flock and dont really have an area to quarintine full size chickens-thats why i was considering day 1 sexed pullets.
TSC brings in day 1 sexed chicks but sound slike its more the RIR, BSL, etc. not any fun breeds as such. I really want to get EEs and Silver laced Wyandottes, as well as 1 frizzle and 1 more polish!

Quote:
Are you talking about Tractor Supply? I bought 6 last spring, 3 leghorns and 3 golden comments from them. All thrived. I did lose 2 to dogs
sad.png
but the other 4 are doing fantastic. And they are so great that I am now pretty much obsessed with my new new chicken hobby.

Back
Top Bottom