Hatchery Haters

Quote:
I like a bit of both too, depending on what I want. Like my Welsummers, I'd prefer the SOP breeders while for EE's I would go for the hatchery for some lovely projects for Olive Eggers!

Quote:
Its too bad they kill the males.. they could give them to hungry folks to grow and and eat... seems such a waste of meat!
hmm.png

I will agree that the method of getting rid of excess chicks is apalling. I have worked in hatchery and had to drown several thousand because an order was canceled. We workers took home and gave away as many as we could. But someone ended up selling some and it got back to management and they wouldn't allow it anymore! Such a horrible waste. The ones I gave away went to familys that were very much happy to be able to get them to put food on the table. There has to be a better way to dispose of them. There are too many poor people in America for their methods!

If I was going to breed my birds, I would want birds that better meet breed standards than a hatchery could provide. But all of my flock are from hatcheries. They're just pets (and for eggs), and they are sweet and quite pretty (at least in my eyes). I love my hatchery girls
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom