Hatchery 'Heritage' Chicks

0wen

Songster
Mar 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Anyone bothered to order the "heritage" varieties offered by MPC, Meyer, ect? Just wondering about the quality or if they're worth the hassle?

I currently have a flock of barred rock bantams from Dick Horstman, and working on a LF flock from Jamie Duckworth. Just curious about the hatchery birds however since they're readily available, but not if they'll erase the work I've already done with my flock.

Basically, just wondering if they're quality or if they're likely going to end up in my freezer..?

"Generally" the heritage birds I have seen are not good quality. I'm sure it totally depends on the breed AND the hatchery. But..... Generally they are worried about numbers. NOT the SOP for each breed. I've seen some that barely look like the breed they are supposed to be.

Afraid of that. I'll likely add some Duckworth and/or Shafer rocks instead to not revert some of the work I've already done. Mainly curiosity I guess, since they've taken some decent photos (or found some nice stock images!)

The heritage do look better than most hatchery birds but are definitely not bred to the SOP. My heritage BR has very nice barring but she has a terrible shape and random black feathers all over her.

Afraid of that. I'll likely add some Duckworth and/or Shafer rocks instead to not revert some of the work I've already done. Mainly curiosity I guess, since they've taken some decent photos (or found some nice stock images!)
I've seen some hatchery pics that look AWFUL. (Probably their pics. Like Ideal. Some of their pictures look like a bad taxidermy job! LOL) Others SAY they use stock pics somewhere on their site, if you look for it long enough. LOL

"Generally" the heritage birds I have seen are not good quality. I'm sure it totally depends on the breed AND the hatchery. But..... Generally they are worried about numbers. NOT the SOP for each breed. I've seen some that barely look like the breed they are supposed to be.
Meyer's breeds for both Quality and Quantity.
20210107_143539.jpg
20210107_143713.jpg
20201126_120412.jpg
They conform to the SOP, I have the Book to help me with my breeding projects.

Back
Top Bottom