Hatchery Jersey Giants

Plantnerd

Chirping
Jul 16, 2021
South Eastern Pennsylvania
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Black Jersey Giants from any of the large commercial hatcheries? I’m looking for large birds as close to standards as I can get. I understand a breeder would be the best bet but that is not in the budget at the moment. I’m not looking to show/sell birds. I’m looking to start a mixed flock of dual purpose birds(Black Jersey Giants, Australorps, and Turkens/Naked Necks 10 of each straight run) and I’m hoping to get some Giant Roos as sires strictly for sustainability. Again my focus is on size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Black Jersey Giants from any of the large commercial hatcheries? I’m looking for large birds as close to standards as I can get. I understand a breeder would be the best bet but that is not in the budget at the moment. I’m not looking to show/sell birds. I’m looking to start a mixed flock of dual purpose birds(Black Jersey Giants, Australorps, and Turkens/Naked Necks 10 of each straight run) and I’m hoping to get some Giant Roos as sires strictly for sustainability. Again my focus is on size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
I have never got any before. Bout when getting bird you want close to the standard I suggest finding a hatchery with good reputation. Chicken for backyard is my favorite because they try to have good breeding stock. Look at the comments.

Thank you. I’ll take a look at what they have.
I don’t know if they have jersey Giants because they are a smaller hatchery. But I always look at what the hatchery lists as info and the comments. Feather lovers (I think that’s the name) is great too but don’t get Polish if for show. They do a few breeds.

I would not use Feather Lover Farm for any breeds. They are basically a second party distributor that charges outrageous prices and has no customer service. Check out the threads about them here on BYC for more info.
They also do not carry Jersey Giants.
If you just want to use them to create your own hybrids, the hatchery quality should work fine for you.
I have had good experience with Murray McMurray, though have not bought JG from them. Good luck. 🙂

I would not use Feather Lover Farm for any breeds. They are basically a second party distributor that charges outrageous prices and has no customer service. Check out the threads about them here on BYC for more info.
They also do not carry Jersey Giants.
If you just want to use them to create your own hybrids, the hatchery quality should work fine for you.
I have had good experience with Murray McMurray, though have not bought JG from them. Good luck. 🙂
Thank you. Murray McMurray was one of the hatcheries I was looking at. I’m just looking for larger birds. I know people who have bought JGs and they were no bigger than any other production egg layer. I have heard that Sand Hill Preservation has good breeding stock but can be a nightmare to deal with. I’ve also heard good things about Ideal Poultry. I just don’t want to have to buy chicks every year.

Thank you. Murray McMurray was one of the hatcheries I was looking at. I’m just looking for larger birds. I know people who have bought JGs and they were no bigger than any other production egg layer. I have heard that Sand Hill Preservation has good breeding stock but can be a nightmare to deal with. I’ve also heard good things about Ideal Poultry. I just don’t want to have to buy chicks every year.
Well, you could buy several sexed cockerel chicks if that is what you are looking for. They are under $4 a piece I am pretty certain. Grow them out and keep the biggest/best ones for your breeding program. Sell/eat the rest.
I have one Jersey Giant cross pullet and at 3 months, she is already bigger than my adult leghorns. She comes from hatchery stock and is only half JG. Other half is a relatively small breed. I think the odds are in your favor for large birds.🙂

That’s pretty much what I’m hoping to get with the straight run. I’d be amazed if I ended up with all pullets. That would be a first. I will keep the biggest of the roos and the others will be for dinner. I have no interest in selling birds. I’m happy to hear about your JG cross. At least I know I’m headed in the right direction. Thank you so much. I’m really appreciative of the knowledge being shared. I’m super happy I joined this community.

Back
Top Bottom