Hatchery Recommendations?

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
As some people may have seen or heard, Minnesota has canceled all fair poultry shows this year, and is temporarily not allowing people to buy or sell poultry due to a serious outbreak of Avian Influenza. Unfortunately, this happened the day before I was supposed to buy two New Hampshire pullets from one of my friends who breeds chickens and pigeons. So, no new hens for me.

So, as for next year, I'm thinking about ordering chicks. My top picks would be Brahmas or Cochins, but I like to select birds for show. So, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for hatcheries with good quality birds and low mortality rates.

If you want to show, then you don't want hatchery birds. Duane Urch would be your best bet, or look for a private breeder.

First, look at the breeder flock videos at Cackle. Their Light Brahmas have the best color I've seen in hatchery Brahmas. I can't say anything about the size, I've only seen pictures. I'm very happy with my Gold Laced Cochin I got from them this year--she's only 6-weeks, so no idea on size. However, I've also had Black Cochins and White Bantams from Cackle and they had vulture hocks (you can see vulture hocks on the breeder flock videos too).

Urch of course is always touted as having excellent stock. I always want to order a box, but can't justify a box of 25 straight run chicks at $6/each when all I want birds for is eggs, meat and pecking bugs off the grass.

Is it just recent they.stopped the shipments in MN? I was able to.recieve my chicks on the 11th from Strombergs hatchery, in Pine River, MN.

Strombergs doesn't hatch chicks--they are a middle-man. Look at the box, it might let you know where they came from--I think they deal with Cackle often, but I'm not certain about that.

First, look at the breeder flock videos at Cackle. Their Light Brahmas have the best color I've seen in hatchery Brahmas. I can't say anything about the size, I've only seen pictures. I'm very happy with my Gold Laced Cochin I got from them this year--she's only 6-weeks, so no idea on size. However, I've also had Black Cochins and White Bantams from Cackle and they had vulture hocks (you can see vulture hocks on the breeder flock videos too).

Urch of course is always touted as having excellent stock. I always want to order a box, but can't justify a box of 25 straight run chicks at $6/each when all I want birds for is eggs, meat and pecking bugs off the grass.

Thanks! I'll keep the vulture hocks in mind.

Back
Top Bottom