Hatchery RIR's?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Morgan7782, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am on the fence about what breed chicks I am getting, and I keep tipping between RIR and EE's. I have one BR and one EE so far. I had some questions about Hatchery quality RIR's. Please post pictures as well of your Hatchery RIR hens here if you have any handy [​IMG] I am on the fence but maybe if I learn some things. I know bred RIR's tend to be different then Hatchery as with most breeds, and I will be getting my chicks from a hatchery.

What age abouts did your hens start laying?

How are your hens temperments?

How is production with your hens?

Anything else you would like to add about your hatchery RIR please do! Thanks a ton! Also pictures are appreciated [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hatchery production Reds are great layers and lay darker eggs, but they dont hold a candled to the size and natural beauty of a well bred RIR.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=283534 If you go the the RIR breed thread and look on page 6 post 55 you will see some of William Bennett's ( Pine Groves) RIRs and look through the rest of the thread and you will see hatchery stock and there is a huge difference in appearance. And will Williams birds, he can walk in the pen and pick them up like big puppies. With my past experience with hatchery reds, I didnt like them and sold them all and said I would never get RIRs again, but after seeing Williams birds and meeting him, I just got some chicks from him a couple weeks ago and I dont plan to ever have hatchery reds again.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    My only choice is hatchery birds sadly [​IMG] either hatchery RIR or EE's. Far as I know there are no RIR breeders in the Sacramento area.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Ok well if you are just wanting them for layers then they should work out for you. I didnt like my EEs either, I've been working on selling all the young ones and I sold the breeding flock yesterday, so I am finally EEless now.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation 9 Years

My Easter eggers came from a hatchery. I love them! They are excellent layers, and rarely miss a day of laying.

6. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    I have had great luck with my hatchery rir's. They are very sweet and my 5 and 6 year olds can handle them and hold them

7. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    i got 10 rir from ideal and they were greatvery quiet and
    gave me 7 to 8 eggs a day once they reached their 6 months of age
    very sweet docile and could be handled also very curious and liked to follow me around..
    great pets also my grandma has them now though she loves them haha [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: